real time web analytics
Report - - Crisp Delph - Dec 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Crisp Delph - Dec 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
How time fly's. The last time that i ventured in here was 2009! The mine proved a popular place to visit and when it got splashed around the net, resulting in the guy who's land it on getting really pissed off with all the visitors and ultimately dumped loads o shite to block the entrance.

Seven years later i was out busting a gut on the MTB and whilst passing this place i decided to take a look to see what the current state of affairs was, and from what i could see the pile of shite had rotted away and access could possibly be do-able again.

After mustering the troops post Christmas dinner, we make our way over to the mine under the cover of darkness, the aim of which was not to disturb the landowner who's cottage is about 50 metres away from the entrance. The lights are on in the properties backing on to the entrance so stealth is the order of the day. We make our way down a slippy bank trying not to step on any sticks that might alert the dogs in the garden to our presence. With lots of cussing and watch the fuck, it was mission accomplished, we made it to the entrance undetected :p.

Nearly there now.... Just a few branches to move and we'll be in. So i start to move the shite out of the way trying to be as quiet as possible...... then i hear, "shut the fuck up, someones coming" We immediately embrace the latest craze of becoming statues. whoever it was up above us proceed to tip a bucketful of their kitchen waste over the edge and onto us below.... WTF!!! Who in the right mind walks 50 metres in the pitch black to tip a bucketful of egg shells, potato peelings and other shite into a disused quarry? Maybe it was an offering to beasts that lay within?

Anyway we're tougher than that and covered in kitchen waste In we go.

Bit o history.
Opened in the early 19 century for sandstone. Closed in the early 20th C before being used as an ammo dump by the nearby ICI Roburite, hence all the Jenga roof supports and the ash floors.

31355985880_c32c44bd3c_h.jpg

31356001280_a0f7fa5067_h.jpg

31691465826_fab40a64cd_h.jpg

31729166335_d6df17edd8_h.jpg

31749164775_7052cf37a9_h.jpg

If anyone intends to visit this place please respect that it is in someones back garden and that they will be of a significant age were torches, mobs will cause distress to them, and who knows you could be lucky enough to get a bucket o bob tipped on your heads too!! :thumb

Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
That's quality, don't remember seeing this before either. Been ages since I got underground and it's the kind of spot I'd like.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
He'll be happy with every man and his dog traipsing back here, be like 2010 all over again :D

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
I remember losing my trainers in the mud while walking to recce this in 2012/13 with @sim2lew !

Cracking pictures as always, I'll drop you a PM at some point about a different mine :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I remember planking and batting, I need to get with the times :) , good job it was kitchen waste and not the contents of the Poe pot lol. Lovely photos and fascinating Jenga :thumb