real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Coke, Beddau - 22/11/2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Coke, Beddau - 22/11/2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
cwmfarm.jpg

This sweet little cottage is "Cwm Farm", pictured circa 1900. This is what stands at the same site today.

IMG_0916-1.jpg

A huge change. From a small country farm in a rural Welsh Valley to some of the most massive, impressive, epic, heavy industry in the country.

Coke is an almost pure fuel that is produced by burning coal in airless, cylindrical, battery-like ovens. Coke fuelled the industrial revolution, being a vital ingredient in blast furnaces, and is still used in steel production. Although when burned it is smokeless, to produce it requires a huge ammount of heat and energy.

There was originally a colliery named "Cwm Colliery" at this site in Beddau, just south of Pontypridd in Rhondda Cynon Taf, that was sunk in 1909. No coal was actually extracted until 1914, however, and then it came from two shafts, Margaret and Mildred which were over 750 yards deep. In 1928 the colliery was taken over by Powell Duffryn Associated Colleries Limited, and at this point it employed over 1000 men. It operated under their name until 1948 when the National Coal Board (NCB) was established to manage the nationalised coal industry in the UK. The NCB updated the colliery in a massive £9 million redevelopment between 1952 and 1960. This included connection Cwm (pronounced "Coomb") to Coedely Tonyrefail, and of course building a massive Cokeworks, Cwm Coke.

In the 70s, the cokeworks alone employed 1,500 men and produced some 515,000 tonnes of coke each year. It continued to do so until 1986, when the NCB was privatised. The colliery ceased production at this point, but the cokeworks were bought buy CPL Industries and continued producing coke right up until 2002. It would have remained open had it not been for the fact it was extremely outdated, in desparete need of modernisation and no one was willing to invest in new technologies.

The only word I can think of to sum up the site is "wow". I've done a fair bit of industry but nothing on this scale or size, and certainly nothing with so much left behind. Machines and paperwork are still in-situ and that silo is truly epic. There's loads of decay and rust covers everything, but that almost adds to the place. However, one thing I will add is that never have I seen a site in such bad condition considering it has only been empty seven years. Vandalism, metal stripping and arson (though I saw no signs of fire) have devastated parts of the site, and seven Welsh winters have not been kind. In some places rust is so bad solid iron bars can be snapped with your fingers, metal walkways disintergrate at your touch and sheets of loose metal flap and bang in the wind. Still, this place is well worth the risk.

Anyway, on with the pictures. Huge thanks to Paskey for joining me. I found it really hard to photograph and for some reason photobucket has messed up my borders, so sorry if they are utter shite. :)

Retardedly, I got very few external photos and none of the silo because the weather was, well, Welsh. But I'm sure you all know what it looks like and if not just look at some other reports; there's loads on here. But I'll try and walk you through what happens. At the north of the site, crushed coal could be unloaded from locomotives into some fairly large silos. It would be dragged up this conveyor...

IMG_0937-1.jpg

...and dropped into his hopper, at the bottom of the massive conveyor leading to the main silo.

Hopper1.jpg

The massive conveyor must have carried a huge ammount of coal at once, so it required some massive motors.

IMG_0934-1.jpg

The hopper let coal fall in a controlled way onto the main conveyor. This dragged it up a fairly steep angle to the top of the silo. There is a maintenance staircase on each side of the belt, and it used to be enclosed by corrugated sheets on each side. A lot of these have blown off however, leaving it very exposed, and very windy.

IMG_0932-1.jpg

The conveyor is so long it has to turn at a right angle. To make this possible, the first half rises directly above the second at the middle and drops its coal into another hopper. It then falls through, dropping onto the second half which continues to the top of the silo. You can see the sheets that used to be on the side on the floor - that's how high it is! :eek:

IMG_0929-1.jpg

At the top of the silo, there is a large room which the conveyor enters, rises to the top of and here it drops its load into another hopper. This leads to a large rotating beam affair which would turn and deposit the coal into some of the large "bins" that drop away for several stories into the darkness below. It seriously is a long way down - it takes several seconds for a stone to hit the bottom. Thats long enough to draw breath if you were unfortunate enough to fall.

IMG_0921.jpg

It really is very high up there, well over 100 feet, probably over 130. The view is really something... you can see the wooden cooling towers of the power station in this picture. They have recently been granted a Grade II listing, so Cwm will be around for a while more I expect.

IMG_0928-2.jpg

The massive brick chimneys are even taller than the silo. There are two of them - one on each side, and in between them and the silo is the upper level of the coking battery, where the actual coking ovens are. The metal chimneys behind are those of the boiler house.

IMG_0927.jpg

The main silo, or "bunker" as it was known, could hold 3,000 tonnes of coal. At the bottom of the actual bins, but still fairly high up the silo (there are offices and changing rooms underneath), there are yet more hoppers, one underneath each of the bins...

IMG_0880.jpg

...that led down through the ceiling of a hollowed out tunnel under the silo, on the top of the coking battery. A massive locomotive collected the coal from the hoppers and then deposited it in the cylindrical coking ovens. It was wet and windy, and not especially interesting up here anyway, so no photos this time. But there were more coking ovens inside - literally hundreds of them...

IMG_0836.jpg

It must have been horrendous working in here. These ovens would be extremely hot, and it was very cramped and dark inside. Everything is covered in coke. Then again, everything in the whole place, wherever you are, is covered in coke.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

The decay down here is incredible; rust covers literally everything. Occasionally, enough light filters in through the grimey windows for moss to take root in the rust. It smells almost salty, like a cave near the sea, and stalactites are beginning to form on the ceiling.

IMG_0847.jpg

There were lots of other little bunkers and silos on site, many with their own control rooms.

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0911-Copy.jpg

Underneath the coal silo there is the break room, changing rooms, locker rooms and shower room. Coking is some of the most physically arduous work men can do, and considering how dirty the site is seven years after it closed, workers must have come out from work pitch black.

Here's the most photographed sign in Cwm Coke...

IMG_0872.jpg

Even inside here it was tight and cramped, and eveything had to be crammed in.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

And the second most photographed sign at Cwm Coke... :cool:

IMG_0867.jpg

In this area there was also the "Ovens lab". I guess samples from the ovens were taken and tested here to ensure consistency, but it was really very cramped and stuffy inside.

IMG_0863.jpg

Last edited:

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
The other highlight was the boiler house. It is spread over two floors. On the ground floor, it's fairly dull and just contains some large water pumps and a network of pipes. However, upstairs was the good stuff.

IMG_0896.jpg

Three huge, and I mean seriously huge boilers as well as several smaller ones and associated controls and switchgear, sit slowly rotting away. They are about fifteen feet high, with ladders and gangways above them as well as a tangle of pipes making up the hotwater exchange.

IMG_0894.jpg

It has it's own control room, which is full of paperwork, and magazines from when the operators got bored. I'm sorry about the overall shitness of this photo, it's truly lousy.

IMG_0904.jpg

And finally, and arty shot of the pylon holding up the conveyor - you can see how large it is by how small the staircases are - this only shows about a quarter of it.

IMG_0942-1.jpg

Once again, it's a fantastic place, and I'm sorry about how dismal my photos are. I definitely recommend a visit to anyone, it is well worth it and industry on this scale is so rare in the UK these days.

Cheers :)

Rustynail

it's dark in here innit?
28DL Full Member
...that led down through the ceiling of a hollowed out tunnel under the silo, on the top of the coking battery. A massive locomotive collected the coal from the hoppers and then deposited it in the cylindrical coking ovens. It was wet and windy, and not especially interesting up here anyway, so no photos this time. But there were more coking ovens inside - literally hundreds of them...

Nice report. :thumb

The "massive locomotive" isn't a locomotive really. I believe it's known as a "larry car". The locomotives were the things that pulled the coke car alongside and recieved the coke as it was discharged red hot from the ovens - there's one at this site lying on it's side somewhere!

I'm not sure what those other things are. They look a bit like the collector pipes on the top of the ovens that collected the gases. Maybe they are the collectors for the tar that was also collected?

I've seen one of these places in action and it was awesome but I wouldn't have liked to work there. Here's a link to a video I found. The first scene shows one of the locomotives pushing the coke car and from about 1.42 to 3.03 you see the larry car in action.