real time web analytics
Report - - Cwm Coke Works, Beddau - April 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwm Coke Works, Beddau - April 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
I expect most of you are familure with this place, it's cropped up on here a few times. What can I say, it's industry on a huge scale again! This was one of the places myself and Shadow took in on our recent trip, along with some guys from wales we met up with who were kind enough to show us round the place.

Cwm coke works was part of cwm colliery which opened in 1914. The Coke works was built and opened in 1958. The coke was used in iron foundries, metal smelting furnaces, sugar beet refineries, brickworks and heating boilers. The extraction of coal from the mine ceased in 1990 and the production of coke subsequently ceased in July 2002. Since then the remaining coke stocks have been removed and the plant was de-comissioned. There's no surface features remaining of the mine, but the coke works remains pretty much intact.

This place is so big we didn't have time to see it all, as time was pressing on and we had to leave as the light was fading. A lot of the smaller buildings we didn't have the chance to explore unfortunitely, but we did get up to the top of the coal silo. :D

Anyway on with the photos - I'm not even going to try and explain what the different parts of the building are, as I really have no idea!

Photo01.jpg

Photo02.jpg

Photo03.jpg

Photo06.jpg

5. Boiler house, which was impressive on its own containing 3 huge boilers, and lots of smaller ones with associated control gear.
Photo07.jpg

Photo08.jpg

Photo09.jpg

8. We found a small test lab with lots of equipment still setup tucked away in the corner of one of the buildings. Excuse the flash photography for this one, it smelt funny in there so I didn't want to spend more time that I had to taking photos.
Photo10.jpg

9. You could see sheets of metal all over the place that were formerly attached to the side of that high conveyor, and it was windy . . . :eek:
Photo11.jpg

10. Crushers.
Photo12.jpg

11. Signage
Photo13.jpg

12. The inside is a maze of staircases like this.
Photo14.jpg

Photo15.jpg

14. The coal silo, I've got no idea how high it actually is, but we climbed it and were pretty impresed by the view from the top.
Photo17.jpg

Photo18.jpg

16. We never got to see any of the bit in this pic, we were just too pressed for time!
Photo19.jpg

Photo20.jpg

Thaks for looking!

Maniac.