real time web analytics
Report - - Cwmystwyth Lefel Fawr, Cwmystwyth - Wales | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cwmystwyth Lefel Fawr, Cwmystwyth - Wales

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cavinglad15

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, I'm sure this place needs no introduction but for those who don't know about this place please see a ripped bit of information from the web.

Cwm Ystwyth is considered the most important non-ferrous metal mining site in Wales, providing a premier example of mining heritage in Ceredigion. Within the site is evidence for all phases of mining activity; from the Bronze Age, through the medieval period, to its revival in the 18th century and the peak of activity, with a subsequent decline in the late 19th and the early 20th century. It has been designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Silver, lead and zinc have been mined in the valley of the River Ystwyth since Roman times, an activity that reached its peak in the 18th century. The largest of the very many mines was Cwmystwyth Mine. It is reputed that the average age at death of the miners in Cwmystwyth was 32, largely because of acute lead poisoning. There is no longer any active metal mining in the Ystwyth valley.

A nice easy trip today to bring a friend along who has never been underground, he thoroughly enjoyed as well as I. This was my first trip into Lefel Fawr for me and I can say I was pleasantly surprised. My friend is the model in the photo, had i had a spare hard hat I would have offered it.

I did take photos, however I'm limited by my kit lens so I will be upgrading to Sony A7 series soon.

Thanks all.

LADDER3.jpg

cart1.jpg

CART2.jpg

LADDER2.jpg

Last edited:

OutlawExplorer

Aut inveniam viat aut faciam
28DL Full Member
Very nice mate well done. Like some previous have said a couple more pics are expected when posting a report, but I’m sure you’ll get that next time. I really like the framing of your third pic anyway.

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
The owner of the mine , a good friend of mine, has a sign which you have walked past indicating a helmet is a must. Please do wear one if you wish to go further inside, the tub was rebuilt some years ago as it was in a sorry state. the ladders are good until the last 2m which needs further repair work . Be carful climbing the ladders there are lots of loose stones which will knock every tooth out .

Down and beyond

Regular User
IMG_9406.jpeg

It’s extremely simple instructions, which we hope even the thickest of people will understand…

Less than a coffee

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
IMG_9406.jpeg

It’s extremely simple instructions, which we hope even the thickest of people will understand…

Less than a coffee
U only need to wear one if u are humpty dumpty!

Down and beyond

Regular User
U only need to wear one if u are humpty dumpty!
It’s simple sh*t , I myself understand it I was here with Roy a while ago it’s not much to ask . As others have said maybe this is better as a help & advice thread . :popcorn I feel I have helped prevent some future wazzock getting a big bump now

cavinglad15

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s simple sh*t , I myself understand it I was here with Roy a while ago it’s not much to ask . As others have said maybe this is better as a help & advice thread . :popcorn I feel I have helped prevent some future wazzock getting a big bump now
You worded your replies implying I was not wearing a helmet, I was aswell as my suit, belt and cowstails although not needed where I went, I'm no stranger to the underground and have done caves and mines and digs far more serious. I do understand your concern for safety though, it should be number one and I expressed this to my friend and showed him the sign in the mine, however he (my friend) decided not to buy a helmet. As I stated in my original post, if i owned a spare helmet he would have used it. I did tell him prior to our trip to buy a hard hat or helmet and even explained how cheap they are but he did not listen, however after the trip he thoroughly enjoyed and has purchased one today.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Don't give caving lad hard time, I'm sure he's got the message already.

Wow!!, I mean *FKN* wow!!!

The condition of the ladders and cart etc
I know RF and others have put in a lot of work, but those pics look like it closed yesterday after installing new ladders.

I still haven't been to Cwm Y. and seeing this report I've got to put that right

Lovely (but short) report caving lad. Keep posting them. Enjoyed seeing it. Thanks!

Down and beyond

Regular User
Don't give caving lad hard time, I'm sure he's got the message already.

Wow!!, I mean *FKN* wow!!!

The condition of the ladders and cart etc
I know RF and others have put in a lot of work, but those pics look like it closed yesterday after installing new ladders.

I still haven't been to Cwm Y. and seeing this report I've got to put that right

Lovely (but short) report caving lad. Keep posting them. Enjoyed seeing it. Thanks!
I was there with r.f less than a month ago , 2 accidents have happened over the recent years on the ladder ways , he has concerns about people without helmets . I still stand by my original comment and it will not change, you no Tom how dangerous ladder ways are without a helmet , and how sharp the roof can be . I am not going to defend my comment ….

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
No no, understood.
The real lesson came to me a few years back I was in Rhosydd just wandering about, I slipped/tripped up down a bit of steep slab and ran forwards out of balance full speed and hit my head on a fang in the roof. I woke up dazed lying flat on my back wondering how I got there.
I had a really sore neck for days, but the top of my helmet (petzl vertex, nasty thing way too tall) had a chunk out of it. Bare head that'd been a hole in my skull. I'm not suggesting that no helmet is OK. Just think that cavinglad (friend) got the message. R's sign is right.