real time web analytics
Report - - Decca radar building - Surrey - Sept 17 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Decca radar building - Surrey - Sept 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Racal-Decca
247_B282_Google_Maps.png

History
The Decca company was a British organisation that originally produced gramophones, however during WW2 moved onto manufacturing radars for military boats. They continued this into a more commercial use after the war, in 1949 they released their first publicly available boat radar. the 159.
Decca Decca Radar was bought in 1979 by Racal electronics forming Racal-Decca marine and related companies. At the time, the company was operating from the site i am reporting on, until 1997 where the company was bought by the US corporation Litton Industries along with many other British marine industries. They closed this site and moved further down the road, still operating today from their multiple new addresses situated all over the UK.

Photographs
After crossing this site daily for work and education commutes, this has been a goal of mine for at least a year, to finally see inside and see what state it has fallen into was sad to see, yet also ridiculously photogenic.
20 years of natural decay and pigeon infestation has really taken its toll on this site. After getting lost in its impressive scale, i though to myself 'My name is pigeonboy, but this really is too much' :D
I apologise if any of the pictures are really fuzzy

uKXxma7.jpg

sO4hhHN.jpg

AIGCq8x.jpg

mH2USI4.jpg

Mushrooms!
AOMv2Cc.jpg

CaD1XkA.jpg

xwAUHNe.jpg

EWstyFe.jpg

5IpOqcl.jpg

View attachment 747841

Ru2PBW0.jpg

CYENPlO.jpg

0AdViFF.jpg

U9Df9st.jpg

Original waiting room
nyBoDwa.jpg

PRjuuNk.jpg

aSDQfLO.jpg

TAwnHvB.jpg

WzINk2D.jpg

qEzEJkQ.jpg

AS8fzmj.jpg

UaUvD3i.jpg

Cheers for looking :thumb

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Nice shots. It really is a fetid place huh. But like you, I did find it surprisingly photogenic, especially that big top room with the pigeon crap stalagmites.

pigeonboy

Be gentle
28DL Full Member
Nice shots. It really is a fetid place huh. But like you, I did find it surprisingly photogenic, especially that big top room with the pigeon crap stalagmites.
I revisited it to finish up some pictures after it had rained and it was so much worse than my first visit :eek: all the insulation and pigeon shit and god knows whatever other shit was on the ground become soggy and squishy, as fetid as it is, still so good for photography when its dry, we even saw a kitten inside!