real time web analytics
Report - - Denbigh Asylum, August 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Denbigh Asylum, August 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The North Wales Hospital (locally known as Denbigh Mental or Denbigh Asylum) is a Grade II listed building.
Designed by architect Thomas Full James to originally accommodate between 60 and 200 patients, the hospital originally had its own farm and gasworks. Planned for closure by Enoch Powell during the 1960s, it was closed in sections from 1991 to 2002.

On 22 November 2008, during work to renovate the building site and convert it to apartments and residential properties, the building caught fire; it was later confirmed that the main hall of the hospital was destroyed.
On 22 November 2008, during work to renovate the building site and convert it to apartments and residential properties, the building caught fire; it was later confirmed that the main hall of the hospital was destroyed. Arson was suspected.

Currently on the buildings at risk register, The 2006 planning permission has lapsed. In 2011 the building was at risk of collapsing and no action was taken by the owners after an urgent works notice was issued, Denbighshire Council had no choice but to carry out repairs on the building which reached £939,000. In 2013, Denbighshire Council voted to press ahead with a compulsory purchase order on the building. A three week Public Inquiry on the challenge to the CPO by the owner completed on the 20th March 2015. A new application for planning permission has been submitted by the Princes Regeneration Trust and would be implemented by the North Wales Building Preservation Trust once the CPO is confirmed and the site has been transferred.

In its current state it doesnt look like any work is to be carried out in the future. The place is well passed conservation is a death trap in places....all the more fun! haha

The Explore

Visited with my daughter early hours of a weekday just as sun was coming up....the scene was set.
We approached via the classic route behind the chapel and entered easily enough.
After the chapel and morgue we headed down to workshop, canteen and wards. We covered most of what we had planned and spent most time on front of hospital getting some moody shots in.
As we were leaving in the tree line towards main gate Elwyn decided to make an appearance. We heard the gate open but he didnt see us hiding behind a huge oak tree only 6ft away from him....as he drove in we jumped out and walked back to castle for the car. A close call! Hahaha

All in all a good morning and we headed off to complete the Denbigh double by visiting Pool Parc in Ruthn (Check out that report also).

On with the pics....

Chapel
P8045667.ORF.jpg

Chapel
P8045670.ORF.jpg

Morgue
P8045671.ORF.jpg

Body fridge
P8045669.ORF.jpg

Heat stacks
P8045675.ORF.jpg

Workshop scales
P8045678.ORF.jpg

Central areas
P8045680.ORF.jpg

Courtyard
P8045689.ORF.jpg

Courtyard
P8045701.ORF.jpg

Isolation cells
P8045697.ORF.jpg

Front entrance
img_1903_20128201329_o.jpg

Thanks for looking guys......

Obsidian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh Elwyn, you bitter old boy - I bet it would make his piss boil knowing someone was hiding so close to him and he didn't spot them!

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh Elwyn, you bitter old boy - I bet it would make his piss boil knowing someone was hiding so close to him and he didn't spot them!
Hahaha.......I actually eyeballed him as we were packing up at the back off my car on the hill....
I think by the look on his face that he knew we had been in. It was priceless haha

Obsidian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hahaha.......I actually eyeballed him as we were packing up at the back off my car on the hill....
I think by the look on his face that he knew we had been in. It was priceless haha

You would think at his age he would like to relax, not act like the gatekeeper of the place spending all his time on patrol with his dog :D I have completely forgotten the name of a local guy who goes in quite often and posts his vids on YouTube so there's like a timeline of decay - because of his little warning videos about Elwyn; I can't listen to Massive Attacks Tear Drop without wetting myself as it is always the theme music for the warning videos haha

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Apparently he knows he's all over the internet. However he's probably too old to care and too old to know what the internet is

Dangle_Angle

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You would think at his age he would like to relax, not act like the gatekeeper of the place spending all his time on patrol with his dog :D I have completely forgotten the name of a local guy who goes in quite often and posts his vids on YouTube so there's like a timeline of decay - because of his little warning videos about Elwyn; I can't listen to Massive Attacks Tear Drop without wetting myself as it is always the theme music for the warning videos haha
The guy your on about is Graham from Denbigh Vids.....yes he is slightly obsessed with the place going off his amount of vids on the place...;)

urblex

28DL Maverick
28DL Full Member

Haha similar thing happened to me & Ferox when we went & he was staring at us with a face like thunder like he knew exactly where we had been, must be getting slow in his old age