real time web analytics
Report - - Derby Royal Infirmary. April 2015. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Derby Royal Infirmary. April 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

redhunter

redxrag on instagram
28DL Full Member
Hi all,

Some history of this place.

Derbyshire Royal Infirmary (DRI) was established in 1810 on land formerly part of Derby's Castlefield estate on land near what is now Bradshaw Way and the A6 London Road. It was known as the Derbyshire General Infirmary at the time. In 1890 a Typhoid outbreak sweeped through the hospital, and the buildings design was blamed. The hospital is entirely demolished, a year later Queen Victoria laid the foundation stone of what would become Derbyshire Royal Infirmary. The neo-Jacobean building was completed in 1894, and its main features were its 'Onion' shaped domed towers and its central corridor which ran the length of the hospital.

The hospital was expanded at several points in the 20th century, the most visible being the still used Wilderslowe Tower and the now disused A+E building built in 1970. The DRI as a result is an architectural mish-mash with the original hospital at its heart.

Buildings aside, the DRI was a pioneering hospital, the UK's first Flying Squad was set up here in 1955, in 1976 George Cohrane set up the first National Demonstration Centre for Rehabilitation and in 1992 the Pulvertaft Hand Centre was opened by the Queen, her grandson William was sent here seven years later following a rugby injury.

In the late 90s, the NHS Trust's for each hospital in Derby merged, and drew up a dramatic plan to consolidate the services of both hospital's on one site. The so called 'super hospital', soon to be known as the Derby Royal Hospital is one of the largest in the region. There are no official plans to redevelop the now redundant Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, the land is covered by a large regeneration plan which will expand Derby's city centre southwards into what is known as Castleward. The 1987 built part of the hospital shall continue to provide medical care, providing the services of the closed Aston Hall and Grove Hospital's south of Derby.

The visit.

I've wanted to get into this place for months, with many attempts and fails. But I finally managed to get in. I soon became aware of the pure amount of workers on site demolishing many of the out buildings slowly but surely. I stayed in one of the first buildings, I'm not sure which part of the hospital this was, be great if someone could tell me? But I enjoyed the look around. 4 Floors and each have their own character and story. It's just such a shame a big beautiful place has to be knocked down for something completely useless. Onwards and upwards I suppose.

Hope you enjoy.
IMG_2394_zpsaudukwbe.jpg
IMG_2396_zpsjsusooiw.jpg

IMG_2397_zpshvz4wkwt.jpg
IMG_2398_zpswycisqtp.jpg
IMG_2402_zpszbbmtji5.jpg
IMG_2410_zps4zv7rbse.jpg

IMG_2393_zpshrpzaie2.jpg

IMG_2384_zps5l4ib98h.jpg

IMG_2425_zpso4jgdnwd.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsgnyvk8pk.jpg
IMG_2421_zpsb0dvqweh.jpg

After alot of swearing, head scratching and beer I finally managed to upload my pictures (I hope)

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2382.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_2393.jpg
    IMG_2393.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_2394.jpg
    IMG_2394.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_2396.jpg
    IMG_2396.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_2402.jpg
    IMG_2402.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_2425.jpg
    IMG_2425.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2421.jpg
    IMG_2421.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Miss Mayhem

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great first report , and welcome :thumb
Just maybe add history to your report about this site : )

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Man this has taken a trashing since the last report I saw.
Some of your pics have come through as attached files.
Good stuff though, cheers for sharing :thumb

redhunter

redxrag on instagram
28DL Full Member
Man this has taken a trashing since the last report I saw.
Some of your pics have come through as attached files.
Good stuff though, cheers for sharing :thumb

It's in a right state at the moment. Shame it's been so trashed. I'm only getting with terms with all this lol, i'll get the hang of it.

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
It's in a right state at the moment. Shame it's been so trashed. I'm only getting with terms with all this lol, i'll get the hang of it.

It was looking fooked Jan last year when I visited, matches the rest of the city really :p
You'll get the hang of it all with time, the most important thing to remember is enjoy yourself :thumb

The Stig

Urbex = Nosey Bastard
28DL Full Member
As Punk says, she is in a right state now :( it's a new play ground for the local chavs I guess, saves getting caught on the streets lol