real time web analytics
Report - - Draycott Cross Colliery | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Draycott Cross Colliery

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic former colliery, which originated as a railway arch. The Railway sold the tunnel off and the colliery sunk various shafts off the side. This visit was rwally more about finding the colliery and checking it out more than real exploration, and we will return with overalls and helmets to do the actual shafts. Really good to see coal tubs still in place... a really special and untouched site! I was very proud of my mrs with the difficult access... she was so much more graceful than Raddog!!

qwe13.jpg

qwe14.jpg

qwe15.jpg

qwe16.jpg

qwe17.jpg

qwe18.jpg

qwe19.jpg

qwe20.jpg

qwe21.jpg

qwe23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Raddog

28DL Full Member
Re: Draycott Cross Colliery REPORT

This is one place that needs a re-visit, being an ex coal mine you can imagine how filthy it is down there...

Lots of stuff in situ makes it an atmospheric place. Wierd how there is a pile of sand almost to the roof???

Only one good pic for me that day:
DraycottX.jpg

sparkymark7

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I visited this site yesterday (Friday 17th June 2016) I could safely say that it has been permanently sealed with concrete now. The only way in would be with TNT or a Jackhammer!
npj0ub.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I visited this site yesterday (Friday 17th June 2016) I could safely say that it has been permanently sealed with concrete now. The only way in would be with TNT or a Jackhammer!
npj0ub.jpg

Holy crap, they properly went to town on it this time. It's been open and closed for years.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Wonder if the emergency escape is still open? We never did climb to the very top to find out where it comes out to!

rastapasta69

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was the same Dweeb, never did get to the top of that shaft, you could feel the draft coming down, been meaning to go back to get right the way up.
Proper gutted to see it sealed like that, not only for the access point of view but seeing the awesome brick work of the tunnel being covered up a real shame.

Wanderingmellon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been over here today as it is on my way to work. Found The concrete entrance but did not find the other side before the light went. We know where the other shafts are though is there ladders leading up there. As in of I was to open the shaft could I get down ?

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It was a slope shaft so no ladder needed but it was dodgy. So much so we abandoned going to the very top. I'd advise extreme caution if your going in that way. Not saying it's not doable but try not to touch anything remotely load bearing!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It was a slope shaft so no ladder needed but it was dodgy. So much so we abandoned going to the very top. I'd advise extreme caution if your going in that way. Not saying it's not doable but try not to touch anything remotely load bearing!

Yeah, I remember saying it looked like something out of Indiana Jones. We didn't need to go to the top, so decided not to for our own safety.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another thing to note, if the adit is sealed air may be an issue, as it was none too clever before!

Wanderingmellon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I always try not touch much anyway really . still worth a look .definatly Going to take a gas meter down when we do it .also may have another way in other than the shaft .just need to weigh the job up .I can't believe they went so mad on capping it off. Well I can but its annoying .

Morrisey

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The return drift exits in the side of the quarry that's situated to the north east of the tunnel entrance.
We climbed to the top but couldn't get out due to the loose gravel / sand that makes up the sides collapsing in on us.

Wanderingmellon

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The return drift exits in the side of the quarry that's situated to the north east of the tunnel entrance.
We climbed to the top but couldn't get out due to the loose gravel / sand that makes up the sides collapsing in on us.
Does sound a bit sketch .ropes and great care I geuss .no wonder it was prone to collapse when build under a gravel quarry .

Callumshaw

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, I'm new here and new to urban exploring and very interested in getting into this place for my photography, from what I've read, there might still be a way in but it's dangerous and might require a rope to get out? Is that correct? I'm not used to written instructions haha. Although from the picture that shows the place as sealed, I'm curious how big that gap is? also curious how illegal it would be to widen that gap? :D

I'm a photographer based in Leicestershire/Derbyshire and these sites are very in line with some projects I'm desperate to do. Any information would be appreciated. As a 22 year old amateur, I'd like to think I'm stupid enough to find and try dangerous ways in and out to make it safer for others to get in. If anyone's interested in teaming up, for this or another project that'd be awesome!

Regards
Callum

Last edited by a moderator: