real time web analytics
Report - - Eggborough Power Station - Knottingley - October 2019 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eggborough Power Station - Knottingley - October 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Eggborough Power:
This omnipotent power plant in the great county of North Yorkshire first began generating electricity from coal in 1967 and had 4x 500MW units, with a total output of 1960MW (enough to power 2 million homes).
Units 3 & 4 of this place had what's called Flue Gas Desulphurisation installed which is in essence a wall of limestone around the exhaust pipes from the boilers which removes 92% of Sulphur Dioxide and turns it into Calcium Sulphite. Overall this technology limits SO2 emissions which causes acid rain.

The Explore:
So nearly 2 months ago now I went here with @xplorer.x and @UrbandonedTeam at about 3am in the pouring rain and treacherous conditions to try and do my first power plant.
Due to the substantial volume of rain that had fallen the last few days before we went, it was totally saturated and took us about 2 hours to cross in total as we took an unnecessarily obscure route because we couldn't actually see where we were going most of the time.
After about 2 hours the weather was really getting to us and I think we all under prepared in the insulation department...

IMG_7684-HDR.jpg

Moving on from the conveyor system, we entered the boiler rooms which I got limited photos of bar this, since I was too cold to even hold my camera properly :confused:
IMG_7436-HDR.jpg

Going out onto the roof I got to experience the sheer size of the still-complete set of eight cooling towers. We never actually went into them, but their size is truly something to awe at up close, as is the unfortunately sealed chimney for CO2 and SO2 which really is about the width of a domestic home all the way up.
IMG_7446-HDR.jpg

On to my favourite part of this place: The Turbine Hall. The colours in here really make this place stand out and make it so photogenic. The turbines themselves of course are even bigger than their blue shield counterparts, as they go into the floor beneath; but even standing next to the visible part it was from memory about double my height.
IMG_7464-HDR.jpg

The huge walls of windows in this place really helped for lighting up this incredible hall.
IMG_7453-HDR.jpg

To be honest, my photos from the control room really didn't come out as well as I'd have like them to, but regardless, here are a few shots from it.
The bit that surprised me about the control room was how much it almost felt like a movie set. Behind the blue panel walls is just a wooden structure holding it up, almost like a prop. Don't get me wrong, the room looks amazing if you disregard all of its asymmetrical gaffes; but weirdly has a feel about it of being hastily setup.
IMG_7610-HDR-2.jpg

Having the lights off really does give this place a better feel, especially when it seems like everybody's just evacuated and left like in this photo.
IMG_7675-HDR.jpg

Thanks for reading my first report, hope the photos suffice!

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Nowt wrong with them at all. Good effort on the coal heap too

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
:thumb Nicely done. The control room shots are clean, sharp and they do look like a movie set or maybe spaceship lol. The lengths we go to eh! anyway kudos for getting in and drenched at the same time :cool: