real time web analytics
Report - - Electricity Works Cooling Tunnels, Stockport, September 2018 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Electricity Works Cooling Tunnels, Stockport, September 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
A reminder of the grubby Surge tube.

I sat in the rain for a while wishing i'd chosen to go in, but went home happy that I'd won the cleanest hands and shiniest waders award of the day :thumb

Great set of pictures T.

IMG_0074.jpg

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
A reminder of the grubby Surge tube.

I sat in the rain for a while wishing i'd chosen to go in, but went home happy that I'd won the cleanest hands and shiniest waders award of the day :thumb

Great set of pictures T.

IMG_0074.jpg

Haha, the crawl! Great day, and Beer Belly gave me a nice wash afterwards anyway!

hworrall19

28DL Member
28DL Member
DSC_0010.jpg

I had been really eager to see these tunnels ever since @tallginge put a report up, which also led me to the original ones by @FreshFingers. The main appeal was the rusty metalwork still in place in these tunnels, but I was also intrigued by the way in which sounded fun in itself. The chance came last September when I was briefly in Stockport - I visited these with @Alley, @FreshFingers and a non member, all of who have all been here multiple times but were kind enough to give me the tour.

These tunnels were situated, as the name suggests, under the Stockport Electricity Works beside the river Goyt. They form an extension of Stringers tunnels and provided water to cool the workings above. I'll start with some old photos, all of which are from http://old.stockport.gov.uk/sia. Some vintage UE photos from 1930s show the electricity works in operation, with the switchboard and generators looking nice and shiny.

switchboard 1931.jpg

generator 31 - borough surveyor.jpg

The power station itself was demolished between 1981 (when the cooling tower fell) and 1983 (when the rest was flattened) - first pic by Roger Ball and second by J. A. Turner.

1981 Roger Ball, demo of cooling tower.jpg

1983 J. A Turner - demo of electricity works.jpg

And pictures dated 1929 show what appears to be the construction of the tunnels themselves, or at least some alterations in progress.

39930.jpg

An although I can't vouch for the accuracy of the dates, this next pic is dated 1957 and again shows the tunnels undergoing some kind of maintenance.

stockport corporation electricity works 1957.jpg

If you squint at the background of that last pic above you can just make out a round hole, with a light above. This is, I think, where the tunnels connect to Stringers tunnel, and also where we entered, after a bit of a wiggle and a slide.... The next pic shows the point of entry - a bit of a flat-on-the-back affair on a dirty plastic sheet, underneath the wedged metal sluice.

DSC_0043.jpg

Once inside, however, things open up nicely and we were met by the spacious brick tunnel.

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Water, from what I remember, was below welly height throughout... This is looking back to the entry point.

DSC_0005.jpg

Approaching the penstocks, with a concreted over outfall to the right...

DSC_0038.jpg

Onwards, and although it's not a particularly long tunnel there's plenty to see. Penstocks to the left lead to small cooling chambers. That 'rope' hanging down is actually a tree root that's found its way down to the water from the ground above. Cheers to @Alley etc for lighting things up nicely.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Inside one of the chambers...

DSC_0028.jpg

Rusty...

DSC_0030.jpg

This was the end, where the water got stinky an we could go no further...

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

And back out the way we got in...

DSC_0040.jpg

these photos are amazing

Who has read this thread (Total: 351) View details