real time web analytics
Report - - Emborough Quarry, Somerset, Dec 2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Emborough Quarry, Somerset, Dec 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kai6279

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Emborough Quarry, Somerset, Dec 2022

History (Source: Wiki)

Emborough Quarries is a 1 hectare geological Site of Special Scientific Interest at Emborough in the Mendip Hills, Somerset, notified in 1971.

The disused quarry has yielded a wide variety of remains of vertebrate fossils, amongst which the early reptiles are particularly well represented. Of special note is Kuehneosaurus latus which is one of the earliest-known flying vertebrates. During the Triassic period of geological time, some 230 million years ago, the limestones now exposed on Mendip formed upland areas upon which a number of large rivers rose. Solution cavities were soon created in the land surface and material from the surrounding area was swept into the newly formed cave systems. Remains of the creatures living in the upland areas during this time were swept into these deposits and have now been exhumed by recent quarrying activities. Fresh material is brought to the surface with every rock fall and Emborough Quarries are a nationally important source of fossil vertebrate remains for research and study.

This former Mendip quarry site, probably owned by Emborough Stone Co., a branch of Roads Reconstruction, Ltd., where iron ore was once mined is now home to an assembly of contractor's plant (possibly of Richard Wood (Engineering) Ltd), cranes and machine tools. It is the location of Nettlebridge Viaduct, a seven-arch bridge that once carried the Somerset and Dorset Railway.

The site was owned by Emborough Stone Co which was later bought by Roads Reconstruction Ltd. The rock quarried was carboniferous mountain limestone which was used for construction and railway ballast. There are 2 main quarries and several trial quarries. The site was previously used by the Emborough Brick Co for making clay bricks.

The Explore:
The semester break started recently and I got more time to explore more around Somerset. Since the proper entrance is secured and there is a construction site nearby, I wandered 45 minutes around the woods to find an accessible point to the quarry. It was quite easy to enter, tho my trousers are slightly fucked up by the spiky plants along the path.

Photos:

1000003665-01.jpeg

1000003667-01.jpeg

1000003700-01.jpeg

1000003682-01.jpeg

1000003683-01.jpeg

1000003702-01.jpeg

1000003689-01.jpeg
1000003680-01.jpeg

20221217_105745.jpg

1000003676-01.jpeg

1000003680-01.jpeg

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some very moody shots there! :thumb Cracking job! Seen this crop up a few times, generally with awkward access... There's an easy way, and it's a 5 minute walk from the pub ;)

Kai6279

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is a drone footage on YouTube showing the surroundings of the quarry. Search it up and use satellite view to help you locate the place around Emborough, that's how I found the quarry.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not seen this one before, I like it! The dragline excavators are the same type as at a derelict quarry very close to me. I love seeing the old machinery and vehicles left.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Viaduct looks interesting and secluded, and height to width looks favourable. Does anyone bridge swing there?

mickeyaitch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic photos, very dramatic mix of nature and machine, thank you for sharing👌😊

Who has read this thread (Total: 209) View details