real time web analytics
Report - - Engine House/Sluice Remains, Westwick, Norfolk - June 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Engine House/Sluice Remains, Westwick, Norfolk - June 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
As usual, I found myself trawling through various old OS Maps with the hopes of finding some nice untouched old industry remains and pump houses. I found this little site which was marked as an Engine House with a Windpump and Sluice on site. I decided to take a look at this, in addition to some other places last week.

History & Information
I found little to no information online about this particular site. These remains are situated in the small village of Westwick in Norfolk, just south of North Walsham in a small unnamed woodland. Once upon a time there was a building here but has been partially demolished, only some rusty old equipment and the lower bricks of the building now remain. From what I could tell, I think there would've been more equipment here as I noticed a couple of concrete platforms on the ground which look like would have had equipment on top, but these are now long gone. There was also a windpump on site according to old maps but this has since been removed.

The equipment includes a sluice mechanism with a wheel, in addition to a few other bits of machinery including what looked like to be an old ram pump, unfortunately, there was no nameplate engraved on this one.

Although a somewhat trivial place, I thought it would be worth posting a report as I know there are several members on here who like the old pump house/water-related industrial remains, and it’s not always about the biggest and best sites!

westwick.JPG

The Explore
The visit itself was fairly easy, took a few minutes to find the exact spot and I ended up jumping over a few little streams whilst nearly getting wet in the process but was stress-free. I tried searching for another sluice up the road and the supposed windpump on site but to no avail. I was working with some pretty harsh lighting so I had to do reduce the contrast and highlights of some so they are a bit easier to see.

Onto the photos themselves...

Approaching the engine house, you're able to see part of the old brick structure, in addition to a fairly wide entry point:

Old enterance with an old door.jpg

The larger wheel sits to the rear of the brick perimeter:

Main wheel mechanism.jpg

Mechanism 2.jpg

An overview of the equipment:

IMG_8810-HDR.jpg

Set to the side, this may have been used to drive the ram pump to pump the water, but not 100% sure. The wheel is rotting away at a fast rate:

dilapidated wheel.jpg

IMG_8834.jpg

The ram pump on the other side:

IMG_8802-HDR.jpg

The water then carried on down the stream to the west:

stream.jpg

I put on the 50mm prime to get a few detail shots, I'll conclude with these:

IMG_8819-Enhanced-NR.jpg

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8831.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's really nice mate and another great find. Actually more there than I expected from when you said. It's great Norfolk still has unexpected little gems.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This was a surprise. You managed to make it look really good! I thought it was gonna be a pain to photograph.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's really nice mate and another great find. Actually more there than I expected from when you said. It's great Norfolk still has unexpected little gems.
Thanks mate, it was a nice little surprise! Definetely worth a look, the woodland is opposite the old village hall.

That's really nice. Really getting into these.
Thanks mate, little sites like these are lovely ain't they.

This was a surprise. You managed to make it look really good! I thought it was gonna be a pain to photograph.
Cheers, it was a bit of a pain but did the best I could with them!