real time web analytics
Report - - Eva Brothers Ltd Forgemasters, Openshawe. Jun 19 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eva Brothers Ltd Forgemasters, Openshawe. Jun 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Established in 1898 and located along side Lock No.13 on the Ashton canal in Openshawe.

Eva Brothers was a traditional Forgemaster’s where apparently the con-rods for the Titanic’s engine were made.

Crabtree forge was one of the last traditional forges to remain in the area and after the demise of the Steam loco in the 60’s traditional work slowed down and the company made various car parts, and blanks for forging car parts. Eva Brothers eventually closed down in 2005 bringing an end to the last bit of heavy engineering in the area which was once dominated by the steel works.

There was one shed on the site which was still in use more recently, where they made car panels and radiators. This has also since shut and the site remains overgrown and forgotten about along the canal.

I’ve not seen this place before and there is only one report from years ago over on DerP, now that I’ve looked. I happened to stumble across it on the off chance looking at Google Earth checking out another place nearby. Deffo worth the 20-minute wander, quite surprised as to what was left considering its so overgrown, that and given the history of the place and the surrounding area with the ironworks I’m certainly glad I bothered with it.

IMG_7942.jpg

I’ll start off with some then and now pics. Archive photos taken from Manchester Libraries.

IMG_8658.jpg

DSC_7930.jpg

webmedia.php-3.jpg

DSC_7937.jpg

webmedia.php.jpg

DSC_7934.jpg

webmedia.php-2.jpg

DSC_7933.jpg

Once onto the site, most of the buildings are pretty well sealed with some mahoosive lumps of iron from parts of the old machinery.

DSC_7399.jpg

DSC_7400.jpg

DSC_7402.jpg

DSC_7406.jpg

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
There is however a couple of sneaky ways in still.

DSC_7410.jpg

DSC_7412.jpg

DSC_7426.jpg

DSC_7428.jpg

DSC_7432.jpg

DSC_7687.jpg

DSC_7688.jpg

DSC_7690.jpg

DSC_7689.jpg

DSC_7692.jpg

Behind this rather large gear and old cabinet was a doorway to a small electrical switch room. With a leccy meter still spinning away.

DSC_7695.jpg

Moving back outside, around the back are three of these R.G. Ross ‘Rigby’ machine hammers tucked away in the overgrowth.

IMG_7979.jpg

DSC_7376.jpg

DSC_7378.jpg

DSC_7381.jpg

Along with an old pattern/jig for some body panels.

DSC_7403.jpg

DSC_7404.jpg

DSC_7387.jpg

DSC_7389.jpg

DSC_7394.jpg

Finishing off with the Eva Brothers ‘ghost sign’

DSC_7395.jpg

Snowhead

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like 9.99 for someone for making it secure. Looks like it was after the Copper went tho'.
Good set of pics.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's an ace report. Love the now and then shots and the place now with all the greenery and rust amid the history. Top notch stuff.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Cheers all. Yeah its got some good decay. Natures is definitely taking it back, and the Clayton Bad Boys LOL

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate you went back then to do other building. This would have been epic in its day I bet. Nice to see some local treats too.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Nice one mate you went back then to do other building. This would have been epic in its day I bet. Nice to see some local treats too.

Yeah I saw that it had been opened since I went so popped back in whilst I was passing the it the other day. The more ive looked at it too the more i appreciate it. Did you go?

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Good to see someone else bothering with this place, some good history but alas the place is knackered, apart from the shed still in use

Who has read this thread (Total: 262) View details