real time web analytics
Favorite type of exploring? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Favorite type of exploring?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Blackeyed

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi there, so I have no clue if I am allowed to just make a thread and if it belongs here but if it’s not okay just delete it.

I was wondering what your favorites type of explores are? Like are you really into industrial places? Underground? Rooftops? Residential? Hospitals? A combination of a few of them? Would also love to hear why. Are there also genres that you avoid? Would love to hear about that too.

When I picked up this hobby I was mostly into ruins of just any kind. I was in it for the pictures mostly and these buildings were most rewarding for me back then. Over the years, I developed a preference for hospitals and schools for the long and empty halls and the way you can endlessly wander them. I also really like industrial locations. Huge rusty halls, monstrous machines and that typical scent. Climbing the structures.
Another thing I’m really into is underground. Especially limestone quarries. Over the past year and a half I’ve visited quite a few of them. I learned a lot about these places and their histories. I love that they have a lot of history and that you can find traces of that all around you if you know where to look and what to look at. There’s also something about total darkness and quiet around you that feels really special. I think quarries are my current favorite.

As for stuff I avoid, I would say residential buildings. I’ve visited a few in the past, but these places, especially the smaller houses make me feel like an imposter more than an explorer and I’m not comfortable with that.
I have never really tried rooftopping either, except for abandoned locations but I think there’s quite a difference between climbing an abandoned place or a not abandoned one. I just don’t think I have the skill that is required to do so (yet).

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Short Answer.
Industrial and Hospitals are top of the list. Then Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Everything else is a bonus.
98% of residential stuff Houses, Hotels, Carehomes ect are beyond dull.

Slightly Longer Answer.
Industrial, depending on type, the more big machinery the better.
Hospitals/medical mostly those with surgical light heads, machines, corridors and morgues.
Planes And Trains And Cars.
Then anything else with some interesting features.

Last edited:

TheReturningCynic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Industrial or Medical - my best explores have all been in factories or hospitals.

I did do an underground river - well, more a large culvert to be fair - and I loved that. I used to find a lot of underground stuff slightly repetitive, ironically all I've really done since dipping my toe in again has been underground though! So maybe I'm being converted...

Special mention for Residential locations though: resounding no. I can't think of anything more boring than walking around a random house. (That also goes for care-homes; I did one years ago, and it was as boring as you'd expect a house, with the added bonus of being utterly depressing at the same time.)