real time web analytics
Report - - Ferrybridge 'C' Power Station - Yorkshire - April 2016 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ferrybridge 'C' Power Station - Yorkshire - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
The end of March saw the next round of coal fired closures at Ferrybridge C and Longannet. Less than a week after the press releases went out i found myself with an invitation to explore both, how's a man to choose?! In the end it was Ferrybridge that got the green light. Our leisurely explore of Ironbridge was on roughly the same time scale as this so as we bombed up the A1 we were slightly surprised as a still billowing set of cooling towers came into view. We knew straight away it was going to be an interesting night, closed yet at the same time not really!

After a quick run round the perimeter in the car we hatched a plan.

26079098800_365fcba23d_b.jpg

We found ourselves skirting the cooling towers, that steam we has seen billowing earlier was now crashing down all around drowning out the noise of the approaching works truck! Spotting it at the last minute we again huddled under pipes barely 6 foot away from its path. This was quite a contrast to the rural silence of Ironbridge that's for sure!

26079153160_e9e790584f_b.jpg

We pressed on again and ended up squeezed up alongside the gushing towers this was a sight to behold in itself or at least an experience worth the trip! Just time for one long exposure before its time to hit the deck again.

26079096410_93f10ba042_b.jpg

Success! We popped into the lower floor where there was an epic row of fuel mills but alas no time for photographs it was a case of get in and get to cover. After a few flights of stairs we were sitting in the relative darkness of Unit 1&2's gantry crane for the money shot.

26079150470_ce792bf662_b.jpg

Unit 1 & 2 had been out of use for a while so we decided it was best to stick to that end of the building. The turbine floor was a no go really, at least not in the nicely lit section. The control room windows look straight out onto it so we called it a day for the turbines and headed back into the relative safety of the boilerhouse

26079145780_d9ac41a90f_b.jpg

26259614592_02dcb33761_b.jpg

The boiler house was cramped, dark and dirty, very typical of a coal fired power station! We scouted the various floors but there was little in the way of epic photos to be had. I settled for a few nice signs and gazing at a lot of cool red enamel shades dotted around. The station definitely shows its age!

25747139714_0c8303f33c_b.jpg

25747143434_dc3fe46db5_b.jpg

26326014856_7b5a35d4db_b.jpg

25747134474_5ebfeb7643_b.jpg

26326037506_da5f5b70e6_b.jpg

26351986635_95bf4e0916_b.jpg

26285748241_fa7c331e26_b.jpg

Lastly one for Clebby's instagram and a rather crude video that i suggest you watch. I should definitely like to revisit this one once thing have slowed down a little. Its got potential to be one of the best we see.

25747110214_7daaff6aea_b.jpg

The password is 'Steam'

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
A very stressful place to be sans permission. Quite surprised to see it still on go mode!

Good work, as per.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Drove past here the other day returning from the airport. I wondered how long it would be before I saw pics of the place from you :).

Top shelf stuff Speed.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
The video is ace. Figuring the way round places like this is the best bit by far!

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Lovely. I bet that turbine Hall looks essence in daylight.

I wonder what the itinerary is for this place, is she gonna be like the others, demolished in a few weeks or left for a while.

It kills me that my job criteria stops me from getting on the other side of the fence in these places.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Lovely. I bet that turbine Hall looks essence in daylight.

I wonder what the itinerary is for this place, is she gonna be like the others, demolished in a few weeks or left for a while.

It kills me that my job criteria stops me from getting on the other side of the fence in these places.

Im hoping the demo contractors are so tied up with them falling on their heads these ones might be around for a while longer. That said it was only really Cockenzie and Didcot that got the instant demo treatment. Grain had been there sitting idle for years and Kingsnorth had a reasonable window to get in while it was intact. The rest are as far as i know pretty untouched still.

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
I was here a few weeks ago for an induction and the place seemed like it was all go then. In fact, I surveyed the golf course area you mention. I can imagine the place will be active for the forseeable. If I go anywhere interesting in the future I'll have to let you know, as you always seem to end up exploring it a few weeks later!