real time web analytics
Report - - Ferrybridge C Power Station, West Yorkshire - February 2020 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ferrybridge C Power Station, West Yorkshire - February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Explored with @slayaaaa, @Terminal Decline and @xplorer.x
History:
Ferrybridge Power Station in West Yorkshire was commissioned by the Central Electricity Generating Board and was built between 1962 and 1968. The ‘C’ Station was the third power station to be built at Ferrybridge.
In addition to it's four 500 MW generating units, Ferrybridge C Power Station was built with four gas turbines with a combined capacity of 68 MW. By 1973, Ferrybridge was setting records for its thermal efficiency, with Unit 2 running non-stop for 5,488 hours.

Coal was delivered to the power station via barges on the River Aire, prior to the construction of an automated system by which coal was received via rail. Cooling water was also drawn from the River Aire, and was cooled using the station’s 8 cooling towers, all standing at a height of 115m.
The next few decades brought many changes to Ferrybridge, and after the ownership falling into the hands of a variety of companies who all brought a number of alterations to the Power Station, it finally came to a close in 2016 after 50 years of service to the nation.

The Explore:
After arriving at the perimeter of Power Station Fence just after 1am, we began to monitor the site for any signs of activity, keeping a close eye out for the cameras and sensors security had rigged the site with.
We thought it best to play it by ear, and after a bit of waiting for the moment when it felt right, there was little more we could do than to jump the fence and make our way across to the front of the building, all whilst trying our utmost best to remain undetected.
Finally, we were in, and wasted no time getting up upstairs and into the famous Turbine Hall and Control Room. We were a little pushed for time, and seeing as we still had another location to hit that night, we didn't exactly linger in one place for too long, and began to photograph everything we could in the hours we had.
It was certainly appreciated having the Turbine Hall lit up, unlike the control room where they'd cut all power, leaving us to rely on the light from the double doors to illuminate our photos, although, this did allow us to watch the patrol van outside without being seen.
And so, after a few hours of wandering around this industrial giant, it was time to start making tracks, and within just half an hour, we were back on the right side of the fence and security were thankfully none the wiser... all was good! :cool:
As my first coal-fired power station explore, I must admit I've been somewhat hooked ever since. Perhaps a return trip is in order...one day!

1. The Duel Chimneys (198m)

7. The Gantry Crane

12. The Control Room

15. Phone Shot By @Terminal Decline Of The Great Escape

- Thanks For Looking -

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nicely done. Never tire of seeing that control room. Love the last shot too lol. Nicely reported. Sounds fun.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You've got some decent shots there mate. I really enjoyed the challenge of working out how to get onto the site and building and it was nice to find the turbine hall fully lit

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You've got some decent shots there mate. I really enjoyed the challenge of working out how to get onto the site and building and it was nice to find the turbine hall fully lit
Cheers man :) was great to get this place done aye, I think we both know what’s next on the list ;)