real time web analytics
Report - - Flushed Away CSO – Macclesfield – August 2020 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Flushed Away CSO – Macclesfield – August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just one quick one, promised I would keep schtum on here, but this still leaves me with a nagging question. That outfall does not look like the one pictured in mr powers vid, which then begs the question, what the hell is the outfall near the train station for then? I won't ask where this is, as I understand the rule about asking for loc deets, do have a vague idea, but it's not something I will know for certain until I get to macclesfield proper. Thanks for getting into the belly of the beast, nice one!!

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
For something constructed of bland concrete it's a really interesting looking place. The scale of that stepped chamber is impressive. Enjoyed reading that :thumb

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
Nice pics and report as usual Mr Vicar
It all looks very modern, posh and contemporary down there.... ha ha ....drainage equivalent of stopping at the Hilton :cool: haha
Its fine anchoring after a bit of ancient stone and brickwork but still cant beat concrete and steel now and then :thumb

Cheers! As far as CSO chambers go, this is indeed one of the more upmarket venues. They are often pretty grim and confined spaces but this one is quite clean and spacious.

Just one quick one, promised I would keep schtum on here, but this still leaves me with a nagging question. That outfall does not look like the one pictured in mr powers vid, which then begs the question, what the hell is the outfall near the train station for then? I won't ask where this is, as I understand the rule about asking for loc deets, do have a vague idea, but it's not something I will know for certain until I get to macclesfield proper. Thanks for getting into the belly of the beast, nice one!!

The twin outfalls by the station are for another CSO, presumably on the same trunk sewer but further upsteam. This of course does mean that there is more to be seen in Macclesfield. ;)

For something constructed of bland concrete it's a really interesting looking place. The scale of that stepped chamber is impressive. Enjoyed reading that :thumb

Thanks. Yes, it's a decent size in there alright. Makes a change from the regular overflow chambers that you can barely stand up in.

Mondeo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I had a quick look around there the other day, few possibilities for access...

@TheVicar I'm really interested to know whether the place I thought it might start actually does, but It's great you got down there at least we know it's still relatively accessable, plus it is where I originally thought it was,

M.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
@TheVicar @Mondeo might be another big chamber near the station, seems to have a split outfall like flushed away. Interesting that macclesfield has 1 modern concrete chamber that we know of, and the station one not yet explored. Leads me to wonder if there might well be a third and beyond. Perhaps the EA got on UU's back to ensure the bollin is clean, as I do believe it feeds into the mersey, and thus the sea? Or is macclesfield a posh town, and do all the cheshire set, and wags not want to see jamrags and toilet paper floating past where they gorge on fine food and prosecco?

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
very nice, reminds me parts of academy.

It's been a good few years since I saw Academy, wouldn't mind another visit there to get a few more pics.

I had a quick look around there the other day, few possibilities for access...

@TheVicar I'm really interested to know whether the place I thought it might start actually does, but It's great you got down there at least we know it's still relatively accessable, plus it is where I originally thought it was,

Glad it clarified that you were looking in the right area.

@TheVicar @Mondeo might be another big chamber near the station, seems to have a split outfall like flushed away. Interesting that macclesfield has 1 modern concrete chamber that we know of, and the station one not yet explored. Leads me to wonder if there might well be a third and beyond. Perhaps the EA got on UU's back to ensure the bollin is clean, as I do believe it feeds into the mersey, and thus the sea? Or is macclesfield a posh town, and do all the cheshire set, and wags not want to see jamrags and toilet paper floating past where they gorge on fine food and prosecco?

I would expect the chamber near the station to be a reasonable size considering the twin outfall.
There is definitely at least another CSO further upstream by the industrial estate and maybe more.
If the EA did make a fuss about keeping the Bollin clean then by the same logic they might want to focus a bit more on the filth that pours into Manchester's Irk, Medlock and Irwell which also become the Mersey.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, that would fit, the outfall looks as big or bigger than flushed away, and there looks like what seems to be a control building topside as well, but it could well be a substation. Either way, would be great if some cheshire based drainers could have a look at that next. Agree with what you say about mancs rivers, perhaps UU had complaints from some of the cheshire set, but even then macclesfield is not really a footballer hangout like say alderley edge, or is it? Even if so, I doubt the footies and their wag wives could give a toss what is in the rivers anyway? And one of the screens seems busted in flushed away, perhaps there was a geographical or serious pollution problem that prompted the building of said and subsequent chambers of such a size?

Who has read this thread (Total: 232) View details