real time web analytics
Question - - Follies and Grottos? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Follies and Grottos?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You can tell I don't get out as much as I used to because I've actually started to read the enormous quantity of books I have amassed over the past ten years...

I've recently read a 1960's book on Follies and Grottos, and whilst I have had an interest in country estates for a while I have actually never seen one (other than the daddy of them all at Whitly)

Can anybody recommend any that are worth seeing and not just flooded fetid holes in the ground? I know there is one at Hagley Hall but by all accounts it is currently sealed.

I'm sure there may be folks on here that have seen some but may not have felt they were report worthy....

Cheers.

slayaaaa

That one near Norwich maybe? Taylors folly I think it's called. That looks pretty good. I'll look it up in a bit.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Santa's grotto manchester Arndale…sorry couldn't help myself.

I actually found the remains of the one at Liverpool House dept. store, so there you go my above statement about not seeing one was incorrect!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Browns Folly - the door is flapping in the wind. Well, that's a figure of speech, it's mullered on the floor.

Keynsham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is a folley at Pirton Nr Pershore and a grotto at Connishead Priory. Neither worth a report.

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
alexander pope's grotto in london. it think it's normally padlocked but they sometimes open it to visitors.

Old Git

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nacton Tower near Havant in Hampshire.Up in woods but visable from Havant to Chichester B road.