real time web analytics
Report - - Forest Mills, Nottingham, June 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Forest Mills, Nottingham, June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rogue27

28DL Member
28DL Member
Yesterday I was lucky enough to get to explore the gem of Nottingham's urbex scene before its demolition is complete. I explored the site with Crusader92 and Agent Smirnoff. Although we were short for time and didn't get to see as much as we would have liked, I am glad I got to have a look around. Unfortunately I believe this will one of the last reports of the Mills ever reported, as a demolition team have already started taking down buildings (at current the bath houses have gone).

Site: Forest Mills

Date opened: mid-1800’s (believed to be post 1830’s)
Date closed: 2007
Demolition: currently on going (2012)

History:
Forest mills was originally built as a lace factory, but has had many uses and has been rebuilt and added to over the years. In 1980 a bath house was added to the east side of the mill and in 1990 a laundry unit was built along with warehouses and a garage.
However in 1950 Thackeray & Sons closed as the demand for lace declined and a failure to upgrade equipment to modern standards. Viyella the company who owned the site used it as a small scale dying works until they too had to close in the 1960s.
The factory was broken up into small units, and an office block was built onto the front of the building. Small companies hired units of the building. One which was still visible when visiting now is the Prostitute Outreach Workers. Started in 1990 when local women from the prostitute community volunteered to train as researchers to assess health and intervention needs of prostitutes in disadvantaged areas in Nottingham. It moved to a new location in 2007.

Walls and sections of the mills have been knocked down due to safety after arson attacks. Although unfortunately at current the building is being demolished in its entirety from the looks of signs and machinery on site.

Photos:
For more photos please have a look at my photo bucket album.

Radford-400x206.jpg

SAM_1605.jpg

SAM_1572.jpg

SAM_1568.jpg

SAM_1578.jpg

SAM_1574.jpg

SAM_1582.jpg

SAM_1584.jpg

SAM_1589.jpg

SAM_1591.jpg

SAM_1601.jpg

SAM_1625.jpg

SAM_1606.jpg

SAM_1621.jpg

SAM_1630.jpg

SAM_1632.jpg

SAM_1627.jpg

Sorry about the excessive photos, but due to the future of the building, I wanted to try to cover everything!

Last edited: