real time web analytics
Report - - Forth Road Bridge Visit, Edinburgh Scotland, November 2011 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Forth Road Bridge Visit, Edinburgh Scotland, November 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

mcmerit

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was lucky enough to be selected to take a trip up the south tower in late November of 2011. The Forth Road Bridge opened in 1964. The bridge spans the Firth of Forth, connecting the capital city Edinburgh, at South Queensferry, to Fife, at North Queensferry. It replaced a centuries-old ferry service to carry vehicular traffic, cyclists, and pedestrians across the Forth; rail crossings are made by the adjacent and well known Forth Bridge. The bridge under went a 1.2 billion pound survey after corrosion was found on similar bridges in America. It was found that the main cables had lost 8-10% in there strength. As part of the survey large trenches where dug around the anchorages to determine the state of the cables. Also a dehumidification program has being put under way to try and length the life span of the bridge. Even though measure have been taken, the bridge is due to be closed in 2020 and a replacement crossing has being comisioned.

Bridge from View Point
DSCF0003_zpsb1b2f6a3.jpg

South Side
DSCF0004_zps2556a6ea.jpg

North Side
DSCF0007_zps761fbbdb.jpg

Dehumidification Around the Main Wire
DSCF0006_zpsf46a7b8f.jpg

View Of the Deck
DSCF0014_zps3f06c01d.jpg

Inside the Tower
DSCF0021_zpsf5c1de8e.jpg

Wires Fixed Into the Concrete
DSCF0036_zps451f51ec.jpg

Trench Digging
DSCF0040_zps5bca936c.jpg

Sorry for the Pictures, due to the cramp conditions i chose just to take a point and shoot. I was also made to put on a full harness before i got inside incase we had to be airlifted or something :eek:

Last edited: