real time web analytics
Report - - Forum Shopping Centre, Chester - January 2024 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Forum Shopping Centre, Chester - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
January 2024

I stumbled upon this shopping center during an impromptu solo visit to the city. While I was originally there to explore another location, I couldn't resist the temptation to explore this place. I spent a good few hours wandering around the massive complex. I even ventured into the former Chester Market building and multi-storey car park, which I will post as a separate thread with it technically being a different structure. The shopping centre, which was built in 1967, on land previously occupied by the original 1863 Victorian Market Hall and stands proudly next to Chester Town Hall. Over the years, it has housed several well-known establishments such as Boots, McDonald's, TJ Hughes, and Greggs. However, by 1995, the center had become run-down and unattractive to shoppers. In response, it underwent a major refurbishment to improve its image which also included a new frontage.

market2.jpeg

The original frontage shortly after opening.​

On December 19, 2022, Cheshire West Council announced that the Shopping Centre would be permanently closed a few weeks later on New Year's Eve of the same year. The council attributed the closure partly to the regeneration of the Northgate area, which included the opening of a new market and car park. They also blamed changing consumer habits following the COVID-19 pandemic. The council has stated that they will be exploring potential development options for the site as part of the wider review of the One City Plan for Chester. The council has confirmed that four shops facing the town hall square will be retained, with one of them set to become a new branch of Barclays Bank. This decision was made after Chester Cathedral chose not to renew the lease on their current branch, which is owned by the Cathedral. Additionally, the adjoining Crowne Plaza Hotel to the west of the center will be preserved as part of the regeneration efforts. However, as of January 2024, no visible progress has been made within the center, and its vast corridors remain eerily silent.

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping13.jpg

[1] - The '1995' Main Entrance

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping6.jpg

[2]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping4.jpg

[3]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping7.jpg

[4]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping8.jpg

[5]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping1 (copy).jpg

[6]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping1.jpg

[7]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping9.jpg

[8] - Rear Entrance to Hotel

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping12.jpg

[9] - Inside of 'That's Entertainment'

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping1.jpg

[10] - B&M Ground Floor (Formally TJ Hughes)

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping2.jpg

[11] - B&M Stock Room

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping10.jpg

[12] - Northern Goods Area

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping2.jpg

[13] - Service Area

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping3.jpg

[14]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping2 (copy).jpg

[15]

GRONK_Chester_Forum_Shopping11.jpg

[16]​

Cheers for looking :thumb
Fujifilm X-T2, 10-24mm f4 R OIS WR (Velvia)​

Last edited:

Endling

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah that's amazing seeing it like this, many memories shopping here with my mum as a kid and buying records with my Brother when the market had a record stall. Might have to give this a go soon if possible, how's security?

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very similar to the Rochdale shopping centre that’s closed. Standard design of a certain era!

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
Very similar to the Rochdale shopping centre that’s closed. Standard design of a certain era!
They're all pretty similar to be honest, a brainchild of the 60's replicated up and down the country.

pepsimax

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome report! I cased this recently after seeing this post - after a few laps round couldn't quite work out what the entry point was, but had a few ideas. Was pouring with rain so didn't want to climb anything... but a few ideas I had involved a small bit of this...
Will probably visit again soon, and if unsuccessful visit some of the museums in Chester as I know there's a lot of interesting history to the place.

Who has read this thread (Total: 281) View details