real time web analytics
Report - - Gafnan Corn Mill, Anglesey - May 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gafnan Corn Mill, Anglesey - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This is a place that myself and @V50jake have done before but we wanted to go back and get some better photos as Jake was using his old Canon from the dark ages and I was using my phone so decided to take another look last month on our Wales exploring trip.

History & Information
Gafnan Corn Mill is a Grade II* Listed Building situated in North Anglesey. It was a water-powered corn mill featuring a pair of stones. The current building was constructed in the early to mid-1800s, but a paper dated 1617 from the National Library of Wales mentions ‘Kafnant’ mill which was owned by Mrs Mostyn and appears on a map of the Bodorgan Estate surveyed by Lewis Morris around the 18th Century which signifies that there may have been an older mill on the site beforehand. Water from the mill was originally diverted from the river Gafnan, but now passes to the side of the mill via a stream that runs into the sea.

Later, in the early 20th Century the mill was owned by the Carreglwyd Estate and was recorded as disused when the estate was sold in 1918. Listing status was gained in 2000 thanks to its decent condition with most of its machinery still extant. The external waterwheel is also present but it isn’t in great condition.

The mill spans across two floors, much of the machinery and the cogs, etc are on the lower floor, whilst the upper floor houses a drum on the ceiling and a couple of grinding stones. The floor up here isn’t the sturdiest though!

It also appears on various OS Maps, here it is annotated on an early 1900s map as disused:

corn mill.JPG

The Explore
Like last time, it was a very chilled wander. The entry point, although fairly small, remains unchanged and the area itself is lovely right by the sea. A public footpath runs straight past the mill and there were a few people wandering about. We spent a good hour/hour and a half inside getting shots and looking around.

Onto the photos starting with some externals:

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

Not sure what this side room was for but it wasn't accessible, I assume it was used simply for storage:

IMG_3163.jpg

I completely forgot to get a photo of the external water wheel on this trip, so here's a low-quality phone pic from last time:

286155180_5194237390637679_8041847228864687161_n.jpg

Heading inside, starting with the lower floor where most machinery remains:

IMG_3066-HDR.jpg

IMG_3051-HDR.jpg

IMG_3072-HDR.jpg

IMG_3123-HDR.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

The strange heron ornament always moves around every now and then, here he is sitting on the random chair inside:

IMG_3150-HDR-2.jpg

Heading upstairs...

IMG_3057-HDR.jpg

Mill stones:

IMG_3108-HDR.jpg

The drum, this was impressive:

IMG_3102-HDR.jpg

IMG_3075-HDR.jpg

Looking down to the cogs through a gap...

IMG_3117.jpg

And that is all, thanks for looking!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a lovely old mill. Your shots are really crisp and clear from here mate.
Thank you mate, it is a lovely little place and probably up there with one of my favourites, you will definetely have to go up to Anglesey at some point as there's still so many nice little places to see!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thank you mate, it is a lovely little place and probably up there with one of my favourites, you will definetely have to go up to Anglesey at some point as there's still so many nice little places to see!
Yeah one day I will get up there as seems to be so many hidden gems up there. I can see why it's one of your favourite ones.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Beautifully re shot. This wheel is cracking. I just adore these little rustic places. Even the flint rendered walls are really special.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Beautifully re shot. This wheel is cracking. I just adore these little rustic places. Even the flint rendered walls are really special.
Thanks Jane, it's a lovely wheel isn't it. The flint is really nice. I like these little places as there are so many small details to look at.

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots, you’ve captured what doesn’t appear a large building very well. The mill stones and cogs look very interesting.

Who has read this thread (Total: 165) View details