real time web analytics
Report - - Gateshead Maintenance Traction Depot February 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gateshead Maintenance Traction Depot February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
I've been very lazy lately updating on here with my reports lately.
After doing 6 explores this day, Henderson Hall and this one seem to be the only ones that were worth the effort for a report.
Found this place by mistake as I was looking for something else but had pinned this one randomly.
I was quite surprised how big the place was, not expecting to go underground.
Most a shell with some bad graffiti. Still wasnt a bad explore

Found quite a bit of history on the place on Wikipedia. However I've only copied some as there is a lot haha.

It was known, along with the adjacent locomotive works, as Greenesfield or Greensfield, after a Mr. Greene, from whom the North Eastern Railway (NER) bought the land.
In 1958, all BR locomotive depots on Tyneside, Wearside and in Northumberland became sub-sheds of Gateshead. The depot closed in 1991.
Housing now occupies the site, now known as Ochre Yards. The street names reflect the site's history, with Worsdell Drive and Fletcher Road named after former locomotive superintendents of the NER

View attachment

Thanks for looking

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spent many years exploring this place as it was quite a big site before the demolition and building of a new housing estate. The bit you went in is all that remains sadly and i think this was originally the blacksmiths shops. The underground section was a little disappointing i was hoping for more, that said there is supposed to be a lot more to it but it has long been totally sealed up not sure where the sealed sections are tbh. Thanks for the update am wondering what the plans are for this area now.

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Spent many years exploring this place as it was quite a big site before the demolition and building of a new housing estate. The bit you went in is all that remains sadly and i think this was originally the blacksmiths shops. The underground section was a little disappointing i was hoping for more, that said there is supposed to be a lot more to it but it has long been totally sealed up not sure where the sealed sections are tbh. Thanks for the update am wondering what the plans are for this area now.
There was a huge door assuming it leads further in, but was heavily sealed, so had no chance.
Place was quite big for what was just left, can't even imagine how big it use to be in the past.

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
I hate graffiti but there is something about Gordie kids' style of literature with their paint that deserves a field of study. I couldn't imagine seeing "Poetry is sex" written in a derp anywhere outside of the North East. My favourite is "Sterling Moss is my idol" in Ushaw seminary

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Explored this place about 12 years ago, not much has changed although dont remember the graffiti. I think were it not for the credit crunch in 2009 it would have become housing aswell. The top floor was used to store building materials and machinery for the builders which is why it was left until last. Seem to remember it's final use was a a Triumph car garage.

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Photos from 2009 for comparison. Still a few car bits left at this time!

Who has read this thread (Total: 279) View details