real time web analytics
Ghosts of the former DDR (July 2022) | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Ghosts of the former DDR (July 2022)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jones-y-gog

Putting the fun in dysfunctional
Regular User
All the locations in this compilation are within the former DDR (East Germany) and most have a link to the post-WW2 Soviet occupation which abruptly ended over 30 years ago. Hopefully this shows a snapshot of this fascinating area which still has so many direct links to the past 100 years of history. It certainly captured my imagination and the result of 4 days is just the tip of the iceberg - there is so much to see over a wide area you could probably spend 6 months exploring the various sites in and around Brandenburg. Some of the locations featured deserve their own report owing to being quite epic in their own right and others have just one or two pics of note.

After pondering over which order to put it I finally decided on (loosely) alphabetical based on how they appear in my File Manager, starting with Bagger and finishing with Wasserwerk.

20220709_201035.jpg

Sometimes known as the blue wonder this truly is a phenomenal beast . Built in 1964 by Lauchhammer and according to the large name plate it's identified as #258. The stats can be found online and they are pretty awesome, also there is a much more detailed report by @ash47 which is recommended. Since 2002 it has sat rusting in a field, as it was simply too expensive to dismantle and too big to move any great distance.

20220709_192313.jpg

20220709_195101.jpg

It was a unique adventure negotiating this rusty metal maze - some steps were a leap of faith as the elements have definitely taken their toll. In the above pic you can see one of my friends in the foreground and an unknown German guy enjoying the view at the highest point. All the photos here were taken on the mobile as it was too much of a faff setting up the usual DSLR/tripod combo.

Inside the conveyor control cab, the same guy can be seen again!

20220709_195528.jpg

20220709_194241.jpg

All that heart-in-mouth clambering around gives you quite an appetite so we headed to the nearest town while sniggering about the direct translation for digger being misheard as bugger. We opted for a Greek restaurant, and not being familiar with said cuisine myself and faced with a menu in German, I was very thankful to my German friends to step in to save me from utter bafflement. The food, incidentally, was amazing.

Next - Ballrooms. These are found pretty much everywhere in the former DDR. In fact in one small town we visited 2 abandoned ballrooms. These were some of the many highlights for me - although there is a kind of melancholy about them I loved the faded grandeur, imagining them in their heyday full of laughter and energy.

This one was the most understated in appearance -
IMG_9952_3_4_Balancer copy.jpg

This one also had a bar/cafe and living quarters - so 3 explores for the price of one!
IMG_0088_89_90_92_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

IMG_0010_1_2_Enhancer copy.jpg

IMG_9985_6_7_Enhancer copy.jpg

This one had briefly been used as a nightclub since its use as a ballroom.
IMG_9616_7_8_9_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

Finally one that had quite advanced decay which for me made it all the more photogenic -
IMG_9691_2_3_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

Totally unremarkable from the outside there is a very drab-looking concrete building which contains an absolute gem. This 2-lane bowling alley is seemingly frozen in time* from the era of the former East Germany.
*Apologies for the blatant cliché

IMG_0124_5_6_7_Fusion-Interior copy.jpg

Access to some locations involved nothing much more than walking in through an open door, however the former CCCP Flight school was a proper challenge. The new security firm at the time had apparently been boasting of being extremely efficient so it was a real sense of satisfaction when we finally got inside. This abandoned air base orignally opened as a glider training camp. The Luftwaffe took over the site in 1933, then in 1945 the Red army took over and it was a major base until 1992 when it was handed back to Germany. Since then it has lain dormant, as a memorial to some of the major stories in the history of how modern Europe has been shaped.

Just a few of photos here of the main building (this is definitely one that could have its own report) The first photo was the last I took here and my favorite. I had packed all my gear away ready to make the exit climb out and then saw a different angle so just took a quick shot with the phone.
20220711_151209 copy_Enhancer.jpg

This photo shows how a lot of the interior was painted yellow and blue which I believe was the official colours of the Soviet air force. A bit ironic, given current events, that its the same as the Ukrainian flag (although the colours of the flag are the other way round to how it was here)
IMG_0304_5_6_7_Fusion-Natural2 copy.jpg

IMG_0223_4_5_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

Next we have 2 schools which I believe have been left redundant since the unification of Germany. Considering this was a while ago, and how relatively easy they were to access it's surprising they weren't in worse condition.
IMG_0184_5_6_Optimizercopy copy.jpg

IMG_0139_40_41_Balancer copy.jpg

The next one was quite austere, it was almost prison-like in places.
IMG_0394_5_6_Optimizer copy.jpg

IMG_0433_4_5_6_7_Enhancer_copy.jpg

Although mostly empty there were fascinating remnants left from the Soviet era, for example these pictures at the top which seemed to be showing how to put on a protective suit in the event of nuclear attack.
IMG_0475_Enhancer copy.jpg

IMG_0493_Soft 2.jpg

Next up is one of the oldest powerplants in Europe, established in 1926. This also saw the usual change of hands from German to Russian and back to German again. It was briefly used as an 'events space' but ownership has changed and it is back in a state of limbo.

IMG_9766_67_68_70_Enhancer copy.jpg

IMG_9883_4_5_Enhancer copy.jpg

IMG_9832_3_4_Enhancer copy.jpg

The main attraction in this former armoured vehicle headquarters was the mural which included the unmistakable Comrade Lenin. The style of the interior also reminded me of the buildings in Pripyat.
IMG_9292_3_4_Enhancer_copy copy.jpg

IMG_9304_5_6_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

IMG_9310_1_2_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:

jones-y-gog

Regular User
Just a few more!

This is a small mortuary with a adjoining chapel of rest located within a pine forest.
IMG_9400_1_2_Balancer copy.jpg

IMG_9406_8_Optimizer copy.jpg

The scale of some of the sites is amazing. Speremburg was for quite a while the biggest military testing area in the world. Similarly, Kummersdorf developed until it became a Soviet town in itself. Wherever the troops found themselves, infrastructure followed. Now these sprawling places are being slowly reclaimed by the forests winning back their territory.

20220707_201209_Optimizer copy.jpg

20220708_102129_Enhancer_copy copy.jpg

IMG_9328_29_30_Optimizer copy.jpg

IMG_9349_50_51_Fusion-Natural copy.jpg

IMG_9364_6_Optimizer copy.jpg

Last but not least we have a Water works with its calming green interior. One part of the journey to here was memorable for the experience of the an East German road. We realised after a while it was better to drive on the track alongside the road itself for a smoother ride.

20220708_185501_Enhancer.jpg

IMG_9541_2_3_Enhancer copy.jpg

That's it - thanks for looking.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Beautiful collection that, hopefully Im going over that way later in the year but not sure how much time Ill have for exploring!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Phoarr now that's a bit of me. Always been fascinated by the DDR after going to Berlin in 2018, some of this stuff is definitely on my list as well as some stuff I haven't seen before. You can't beat the Cold War European vibes. Have you got any tips for exploring in Germany - anything to do with trespassing and travel?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cracking ensemble. All fab images. The flight school looks extremely interesting. Would love to see more of that.

ash47

professional crayon eater
28DL Full Member
Great stuff man, looking into checking out that old powerplant now, love that control room with the glass ceiling.

Glad you checked out the Bagger, incredibly cool machine.

jones-y-gog

Regular User
Great stuff man, looking into checking out that old powerplant now, love that control room with the glass ceiling.

Thanks yeah got to be honest I enjoyed Bagger more than I thought I would. The powerplant was quite easy in when we went.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User

Same here haha, liked the look of that for a while but never really seen it in context before

Thanks @Wastelandr I'll PM you
Thanks mate, planning a trip for September time so would be good to have some insight

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Interesting that Plessa has just been left to metal thieves now. It was a museum once wasn't it?