real time web analytics
Report - - Glen O' Dee Hospital - Dec 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glen O' Dee Hospital - Dec 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Voodoo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
At the moment I have found myself with some free time during the week so I thought what better way to spend it than going for a wander with the camera. Whilst out I remembered about this wee gem of a building and thought I would pop past and say hello and see how she was getting on.

DSC_0024_zpsk5attyjd.jpg

Glen O' Dee as some of you will already know was built as a TB hospital back in the early 1900's. When the TB disease died down it got used as a general hospital during the war.

In 1955 it be came a convalescent home for a short time before going back to a hospital when the Typhoid epidemic hit in Aberdeen in the 1960's. (Useless bit of knowledge: when my dad was a boy he was on a caravan holiday when the Typhoid epidemic hit, so instead of returning home they stayed for longer to avoid it)

DSC_0032_zpsrja6xzyo.jpg

The hospital returned to residential home after the epidemic and remained as one until 1998 when the hospital closed.

The building is a listed building and is in a very poor state. In 2003 the BBC had restoration program and Griff Rhys Jones campaigned for the building to get restored as his father used to be the medical director. Unfortunately this never happened and the building has just been left to rot since.

DSC_0038_zpssnf897de.jpg

Once wonderful stained glass windows are now gone,

DSC_0094_zpsip0iyfeo.jpg

DSC_0092_zpsnv44toor.jpg

There does seem to be a steady stream of visitors the building. This is recent snow and already they path is well trodden.

DSC_0066_zpsvdnf7dax.jpg

Chavs have trashed most of the internals now. The floor is all warped from water damaged and all the fire hoses have been cut off.

DSC_0085_zpsjoggqyyx.jpg

Paint is peeling from all the walls and moss is growing over most of the floors where the windows have been broken,

DSC_0073_zpszxys5noj.jpg

But there is still some intact fixtures for those who need to go.

DSC_0065_zps1ursen8q.jpg

DSC_0102_zps0ndjg2em.jpg

If you are up this neck of the woods its still worth a visit, but I do expect it to get worse quickly.
There was empty alcohol bottles all over the place so I suspect the local youths must use it as a bit of a drinking den.

Yes I know my "real" name is on the watermark but not that bothered :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
That is one place that I thought would be burned to the ground by now. When we went there years ago, we couldn't find a way in, tried the front door... open...

Voodoo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That is one place that I thought would be burned to the ground by now. When we went there years ago, we couldn't find a way in, tried the front door... open...
Yeah I remember when it was like that too.

Access is still very easy... not an open front door easy but not far from it