real time web analytics
Report - - Glyn Pits Colliery, Pontypool, South Wales | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glyn Pits Colliery, Pontypool, South Wales

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Moelwyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
During March 1994, I spent some time looking at colliery remains in South Wales. This included Maerdy and Tower collieries, the latter of which closed the following month. Whilst I was in South Wales, I took the photographs reproduced in this reports and scanned from the original coloured slides. The location is Glyn Pits Colliery, Pontypool and the photos show a small number of buildings

Most importantly, one houses a rotative beam engine. The building was roofless but otherwise generally complete with its engine and much intact machinery inside. The engine house had an engraved stone set into a wall beneath the beam, which read GHL 1845. The beam engine was built by Neath Abbey Ironworks in 1845 and appeared to have undertaken both winding and pumping until a separate winding engine was installed in a nearby building.

The square stone building with bricked up windows, believed to have been built sometime between 1852 and 1865, houses a vertical winding engine with flat rope reels that is unique in the UK. Its manufacturer is unknown. It was erected to take over the winding functions previously carried out by the nearby beam engine.

Coal production took place between 1840s and 1932 and the pumping engine continued to operate until sometime in the 1960s to prevent flooding in a nearby mine.

The photographs aren’t all particularly good and since film wasn’t cheap, there aren’t many of them either, but nevertheless they probably give a good impression of the site at the time. It was 27 years ago that I visited the site and took photographs but I understand that the site does still exist, although probably much deteriorated.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Scaffolding was still there a few years ago when we wandered past.

Always seemed a bit of a touchy place (as in someone appearing asking what you were up to).

Still 5 bodies in the mine itself after an explosion there in 1890.

Moelwyn

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They have transferred nicely from the slides. Yes to film :thumb
I have some 12,000 slides taken 1976-2006 (when I went digital) so embarked on a scanning exercise in 2012. Took 3 years to do with a slide scanner that did 4 at a time. Still not completely sure why I did it - suppose being able to upload stuff like this is the reason eh?

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
:cool: Thats a massive undertaking, but the results and shares are so worth it. Wow going back to 1976, I wish I had taken more notice of the places I explored in 1976. But alas I didnt really carry a camera. So regret that now. Would love to see some more of your back catalogue, there are going to be places none of us have ever seen im sure.:thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 225) View details