real time web analytics
Report - - Good Luck Mine - March 2015 - Middleton | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Good Luck Mine - March 2015 - Middleton

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Caz Lh

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Goodluck Mine is a typical 19th century Derbyshire lead mine. It is located in a dry valley of the Peak District karst area. The dry valley is named Via Gellia after the road which was built through in 1790. And the road was named after Phillip Eyre Gell, who was responsible for building the road. The Gells claimed Roman descent, which may be a reason why the name of the road was latinized. The road was built to connect the lead-mines of the Gell family around Wirksworth with a new smelter at Cromford. At this time the route had probably already been used for 70 years. Today the route is still frequented by heavy lorries but also by weekenders, especially motorcyclists, who enjoy the narrow curves. It got the reputation to be a dangerous road due to its high casualty rate.

The Via Gellia is a dry valley, a typical feature of a karst area, where the former river now drains underground through caves. Nevertheless this place is not a cave, but a mine. The limestone is full of lead bearing veins, which are the result of hydrothermal activity caused by volcanism. Another remains of the volcanism are layers of basalt, cooled lava flows covering the limestone called the Lower Matlock Lava Bed. Tha basalt is impermeable, the groundwater is not able to flow into the limestone except where the valley cut through the basalt and where the miners dug shafts through.

The ore bearing veins consist of the Goodluck Vein and various smaller veins running parallel and other smaller veins and scrins intersecting them in a north-west to south-east direction. The secondary veins are probably a result of the Gulph Fault, which has displacement of 176m, and is easily visible various times in the mine. One part of the fault is a large open natural rift, partly filled with decomposed basalt from the Matlock Lava bed above. The mineralisation within the veins consists mainly of galena, but also barytes, calcite, and - at the north-easterly end - some fluorspar.
If you are thinking of coming here wear a hard hit there are some very low tunnels including some were you need to go on your hands and knees. Theres quite abit of water in there but only ankle deep.

DSCF2039.JPG
DSCF2040.JPG
DSCF2047.JPG
DSCF2054.JPG
DSCF2056.JPG
DSCF2062.JPG
DSCF2068.JPG
DSCF2070.JPG
DSCF2082.JPG
DSCF2085.JPG
DSCF2087.JPG
DSCF2102.JPG
DSCF2107.JPG
DSCF2110.JPG
good.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Looks good mate. Can we edit in a location and a date on the title?

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Looks a good place to visit :thumb That leprechaun looks a little freaky
Cheers for sharing :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fascinating report mate, loving the old stone engraving, thanks for sharing it with us :)

FaZy_UK

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice report mate.

I've had my eye on this one for a few years, wasn't it a tourist mine at some point?

Andy

troglodyte

Cave Dweller
28DL Full Member
Had my eye on this for a while might actually get round to checking it out now. Thanks for sharing.