real time web analytics
Report - - Gray's Vehicle Yard, Norfolk - January 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Gray's Vehicle Yard, Norfolk - January 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
I initially visited this place last summer on a solo visit but unfortunately, it was far too overgrown and I went in the evening so I ran out of light. I visited twice this month, once with @V50jake and then again with Jake and @Mikeymutt on a nice frosty morning to get some shots of the bits I missed. We also discovered another part including some workshops and caravans.

History and Information
There isn’t a huge amount of information on this place. According to a local who lives at a nearby farm, the site was owned by Bertie Aldridge who also has links to a derelict shop in a village nearby according to a recent planning notice there.

It is not exactly known how long the site has been abandoned, a local stated it may have been unoccupied since the 1980s, but a few items found in the caravans such as some old televisions, a computer, and some old camera film suggests it’s a bit later than this. Google Earth satellite imagery from various years tells a slightly different story as well. In 1999, the site looked slightly overgrown but with well-maintained tracks around the site. It also looks like vegetation was partly cleared out at some point before 2006. All later imagery shows the site becoming increasingly overgrown.

The site primarily consists of a selection of old rotting vehicles manufactured between the mid-1950s to the late 1980s. These are scattered around the site, amongst a few small outbuildings, a larger covered structure where a Thames van sits, and a couple of caravans and workshops at the rear of the site. The owners of the site lived in the caravans and are believed to be Irish and of age.

The Explore
All visits have been very relaxed. It is a peaceful location in the middle of nowhere. I don’t recommend visiting in the summer though due to the overgrowth. I really enjoyed this one despite tackling thorns and branches everywhere.

Onto the photos, these are a mixture of pics from my second and third visit so all photos you see were taken in January 2023 just a couple of weeks apart.

Starting with the front of the site:

1.jpg

An old Ford Thames Trader Truck amongst some other vehicles lay to rest here:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The interior of a rotting 1970 Ford Zodiac:

5.jpg

This 1987 FSO Polonez isn’t in as bad condition compared to some others:

6.jpg

The interior of an old Mercedes W109. This would’ve been a very high-end luxury vehicle back in its day:

16.jpg

In this old shed lies a Thames Van. There were a few other notable things in here including an old bicycle left to rot:

6.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

A 107 Series Land Rover, what a shame to see it in this condition:

19.jpg

A few other shots:

17.jpg

18.jpg

12.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

16.jpg

One of my favourite parts of the site is this small room with shelves stacked with old books:

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Finally, at the back of the site are the caravans and workshops:

11.jpg

12.jpg

8.jpg

15.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

9.jpg

17.jpg

And that's everything, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hell, you got these done and up quickly, I haven't even loaded mine on to the computer yet! They came out well in the end.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hell, you got these done and up quickly, I haven't even loaded mine on to the computer yet! They came out well in the end.
Thanks mate. I've been itching to get my Gray's report up ever since I first visited but wanted to cover it all first. I had some spare time today to sort them all out so thought I'd bang the report up!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out really well. Certainly a cold morning. Think everything is covered now, took a few years though ha ha. Nice to finally meet you after about seven years.

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What a cool looking place. Loads to have a look at. I really like the cobweb covered books. Nice pics also.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out really well. Certainly a cold morning. Think everything is covered now, took a few years though ha ha. Nice to finally meet you after about seven years.
Thanks mate, yeah I couldn't feel my feet or hands for the most part but it was worth it! Yeah, I did a check on old Google Earth satellite imagery from 1999 earlier as its clear on there and I think we've now done everything. Great to meet you too mate I'll look forward to our next outing!

What a cool looking place. Loads to have a look at. I really like the cobweb covered books. Nice pics also.
Thanks! It's a really nice site and there are more than just vehicles there too which is a bonus. I loved the books room.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Had a little taste of car grave yards in Norfolk over Xmas and liked it. Seeing this excellent set makes me want to see this place nice. Fab pics.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice. Like a graveyard. What a great place. Lots to spot. I personally like the shot of the old books. Thats decay at its best, beautiful.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Had a little taste of car grave yards in Norfolk over Xmas and liked it. Seeing this excellent set makes me want to see this place nice. Fab pics.
There are a couple of good ones around here mate. This one, Medlar's (even though there's not much left now) and also up near Dereham there are some old cars in the woods. I do always think derelict cars make for good pics! Definitely worth a look when you are next down this way, it's a fairly big site. Thanks for the kind words!
Nice. Like a graveyard. What a great place. Lots to spot. I personally like the shot of the old books. Thats decay at its best, beautiful.
Thanks Jane, the books are great aren't they, that was one of my favourite bits!

The_Raw

Staff member
These pictures are absolutely spot on. Looks like you had perfect light and weather conditions for it. Nice work

Who has read this thread (Total: 261) View details