real time web analytics
Report - - Groverake Mine, Rookhope, Weardale, Durham (black & white handprinted) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Groverake Mine, Rookhope, Weardale, Durham (black & white handprinted)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bluemoth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hand Printed Black & White Images and Report - ©bluemoth2008

'No Soap, No Toilet Rolls, No Nowt'

Unknown (n/d) Groverake Mine, Rookhope, Weardale, Durham

GroveRake11.jpg

Mining at Groverake started in the 18th Century. Originally a lead mine, Groverake then became a major fluorite producer as its lead production was not particularly successful. There were two main shafts at Groverake. The Drawing Shaft was sunk to a depth of 91m and the Whimesy Shaft reached a total depth of 165m. The mine finally closed in 1999 as a result of the competitive pricing of Chinese producers. At the time of its final closure, Groverake was the last commercial flourspar mine operating in the North Pennines. Most of the underground workings at Groverake are now flooded. However, many of the surface structures and plant still remain, including First Aid Rooms, stores, offices, locker rooms, shower rooms, washing facilities, stables, and accommodation. Access to one shaft via cage lift, and two drift mines also remain. Whilst nature is slowly taking over, the human presence of the men who worked at the mine is very apparent, giving Groverake an eerie, ghostly atmosphere. It is this which gives the site its character and which 10 years after its closure, despite its dereliction, brings Groverake to life.

GroveRake3.jpg

GroveRake2.jpg

GroveRake6.jpg

GroveRake8.jpg

GroveRake4.jpg

GroveRake7.jpg

GroveRake1.jpg

GroveRake5.jpg

GroveRake9.jpg

GroveRake10.jpg

This body of work, among others, can be further viewed at http://www.bluemothphotography.co.uk

:D