real time web analytics
Report - - HAA Mautby, Norfolk..January 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HAA Mautby, Norfolk..January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I visited this former gun battery about six years ago. But I fancied another look again as it’s quite a nice intact battery. A nice relaxed wander n a sunny but extremely windy day. I don’t think this one is documented on here. with the outbreak of the second world war vital places like ports and industrial areas had to be defended from raids by German bombers. This one was a gun battery to protect the town of Great Yarmouth and called YH4. And not to far away is a starfish decoy site, to replicate lights in the town and fires from what should be bombs that had fallen, I have yet to visit that one. The gun battery was located on Mautby lane and set above marshland, and was one of several for Great Yarmouth. This was said to be the main gun battery and commandeered the other batteries. The site was quite extensive with twenty four buildings which included Nissen huts, these were spread over three clusters. It had its own sewage works and a water tower, also a smaller gun emplacement for defence of the site. All the buildings were demolished and all that remains are the four gun emplacements, the command post and the access road, some concrete bases can be seen for the buildings.

Starting off with emplacement one. Nearly all gun emplacements are round. But these are square with concrete walls and a corner open to enter the emplacement, they are banked up with soil. Each one has an ammunition store on each corner,

IMG_6518.jpeg

IMG_6519.jpeg

IMG_6520.jpeg

At the rear of each pit is a sunken bit with a small room and a covered bit out of corrugated iron. Thsee were underground shelters for the crews to shelter or sleep in. Each pit had a trebch running through them for electrical cables to direct the guns and fed from the command post that had a predictor and height finder.

IMG_6521.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

IMG_6523.jpeg

IMG_6524.jpeg

Looking over pit one.

IMG_6525.jpeg

Looking over the other pits from pit one.

IMG_6526.jpeg

Moving on to pit two.

IMG_6527.jpeg

IMG_6528.jpeg

IMG_6529.jpeg

The shelter here is severely collapsed from my last visit.

IMG_6530.jpeg

IMG_6531.jpeg

Pit three.

IMG_6532.jpeg

IMG_6533.jpeg

A tree has collapsed over the shelter entry. I could have prob crawled through, but the shelters are identical and not worth the effort.

IMG_6534.jpeg

Moving on to pit four.

IMG_6535.jpeg

IMG_6536.jpeg

You can still see the gun mount holdings here just.

IMG_6537.jpeg

The command centre is sealed to within an inch of its life. Solid metal doors, bricked up windows and blocks, iron railings as well in places over the windows.

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6540.jpeg

IMG_6541.jpeg

A couple of small areas you can get in.
IMG_6542.jpeg

IMG_6544.jpeg

IMG_6543.jpeg

Lndnpdd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I think this place got added on the historic risk register a couple of years back and there were plans to protect it - doesnt look like they got far with that but looks like a lovely exlore, ill have to give it a look. Looks a bit mor einteresting that the Lound HAA one.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I think this place got added on the historic risk register a couple of years back and there were plans to protect it - doesnt look like they got far with that but looks like a lovely exlore, ill have to give it a look. Looks a bit mor einteresting that the Lound HAA one.
Yeah I think you are right about it going on the risk register, think I read it in the press. Nothing has been done since I went in 2018. It's a nice little wander. Think it's a nicer setting than Lound, but you can get in the command post at Lound and you have a few old Orlit huts as well djenbthe fieldca bit. So both have nice bits in it.