real time web analytics
Report - - Hartford Mill, Oldham, Lancashire - August 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hartford Mill, Oldham, Lancashire - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RobotSon

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi everyone,

This is our first report, and probably not the most interesting subject matter you've ever seen, but I hope we took enough good photos and chose the right ones from the 400+ we took to make it interesting enough viewing.

So yes, it's Hartford Mill again (I see it's been done a few times before!). This is august 2012, and I can report that not a lot has changed since the last report that someone did - Except there this absolutely nothing left inside maybe!? Seems the scrap metal merchants have enjoyed the fact that Hartford Mill can just be walked right into and has no security! The only new looking development is that the boilers on the ground floor have been almost sealed up with a breeze-block wall, I suppose because they are covered in asbestos?

So anyway, we were told about this place by a friend and decided it sounded like a good place to begin our urbex "careers", as there is no apparent security, and basically.. the front door is just open! We arrived about 9am, hoping that would mean any Oldham scallies would still be in bed! It was a nice sunny day, so good for the photos.

Here's a bit of history on the Mill (borrowed from Zer081's report on it - hope he doesn't mind?):

Hartford Mill, Oldham, September 2011

Hartford Mill was built 1907 by the Hartford Mill (Oldham)Co Ltd.
It was extended 1920 and 1924 and closed 1959.
In later years it was used by Littlewoods as a mail order warehouse until 1992.
The mill's Architect was F W Dixon, there were 120,000 spindles and power was provided by a very impressive 1500 hp Urmson & Thompson engine.​

And here are the photos. I hope there's not too many?:

The tower
IMG_9882.jpg

The chimney
IMG_9873.jpg

The first view inside (complete with posing MaDiZon)
IMG_9562.jpg

Nice colours I thought.
IMG_9598.jpg

The floor seems to be covered in debris, compared to previous reports
IMG_9906.jpg

And among the debris.. Slappa da bass?
IMG_9566.jpg

Thar be monsters..
IMG_9942.jpg

On the top floor the roof has fell in
IMG_9638.jpg

And nature is taking over amongst the melting tarmac of the roof materials.
IMG_9742.jpg

As with everything.. broken..
IMAG0388.jpg

Stuck in the Rough!
IMAG0379.jpg

Oldham through a window
IMAG0361.jpg

A view down into the engine room I think? We didn't get to it for some reason.
IMG_9591.jpg

We ventured down to the ground floor, dark & featuring great lighting.
IMG_9845.jpg

Light from 1st floor..
IMG_9826.jpg

Outside we found the boilers behind a new wall
IMG_9876.jpg

And a damsel in distress!
IMAG0480.jpg

Hope it was of some interest to someone! We hope to visit some asylums (as everyone does, I'm sure) next and get some interesting photos up on here.

Thanks for looking.

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details