real time web analytics
Report - - Heanor Grammar School, Derbyshire - June 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Heanor Grammar School, Derbyshire - June 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Quite an interesting building (the old parts at least), more recently used by Derby College it was originally constructed as the Heanor Grammar School in 1912, it ceased to be a school in 1976 and became an annex of South East Derbyshire College which was taken over by Derby College in 2010. The intention had been for the site to become a studio college but insufficient student interest meant it unfeasible and the site was closed in 2013. The site was purchased in 2016 by Vale Property Limited who in 2018 submitted a planning application to use the site for residential purposes with the older buildings becoming apartments and the newer buildings making way for housing. For whatever reason this was refused and since then it has lay dormant. Despite it being essentially derelict for 7 years it was actually in remarkably good condition, I've been told that the neighbours keep a watchful eye over the place and that security is pretty hot on for the most part.

Back in June @MotionlessMike kindly offered to take me around some of Derbyshire's offerings, with this being the first stop of the day if I recall correctly.

External view of the main hall, you can just about make out the stained glass central feature of the large windows.

01.jpg

Internally the building retains much of it's wood panelling in unspoilt condition. Some rooms however have this painted over in pretty nasty colours.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Head pupils boards from the days of the grammar school.

04.jpg

The building has some nice corridors.

05.jpg

06.jpg

The panelling continues up the large staircase which also has a nice ceiling.

07.jpg

08.jpg

A very tight glazed brick staircase takes you up to roof level.

09.jpg

The upper level corridor essentially mimics the ground floor following the perimeter of the main hall in a U shape.

10.jpg

At this level are a number of classrooms with curved ceilings.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

If anything the main hall is probably the most mangled bit of the building with random bits of walls erected at ground floor level and some horrible lighting. It did look like much of the originality was still there though hidden underneath.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice shots, it was a fun morning. We certainly had a lucky uninterrupted visit here, especially after failing to spot them two mahoosive sensors!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nicely covered. Some good features there. I like that last shot, its quite revealing. And the tiles on those stairs are great :thumb

Seffy

Staff member
Good to see you in posting content again dood - I know we always say it but we need a catch up soon!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
NIcely done, one of the only places Iv been caught here so yes the sensors do work!
Lovely chap though, he came all the way from Nottingham so not a speedy response time ;-)

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
did this a couple months back was quite lucky as security came as soon as we was driving away,followed by 3 police cars 5mins later

Who has read this thread (Total: 216) View details