real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Hey Machine Tools - Coventry - May 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Hey Machine Tools - Coventry - May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Thought people might be interested in these, I got a bit of a tour around last year after i bought some machines they were selling off. It was a bit of a weird place but one of the most amazing old machine tool works ive seen in years, a proper time warp! One woman in the office at the front showed me through to the workshops where i met a couple of old boys who claimed to be 'maintenance' They helped my remove what id bought and we had a bit of a chat about the place. The weird thing is they didn't seem to think it was actually closing, despite every machine being for sale. I asked them why and all they could say was the boss 'doesn't tell them anything' and that the machines were being sold because no machinists worked there anymore.. Maybe they were just in denial but the company does appear to still exist so whether they have just moved and outsourced production or are just using the offices here now i cant tell. I cant find any thing about the history of the company online, im not entirely sure what they made exactly over the years but there was a few of their machines in there and a big store full of casting patterns that gave a few clues. Ive been back a few times since as i wanted to try and catch the owner but the place is usually just locked up now. A few months back someone had broken in, i had a quick look and all the machine shop was now empty but it was alarmed and i had to retreat before finding out any more. If anyone has anything to add, be my guest. Would be nice to know more about them or whats happening with the place.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Rather cool. Reminds me of an old surface mount & metal company. With lathes, and scales, screens for CBs maybe. Anyway cool report.

mw0sec

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well at least they sold the kit. All too often you spot magnificent machinery just left to rust.

trikey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Proper factory that, reminds me of a few places I have worked. Tell me you saved the Jig borer.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
The Matrix optical borers got bought but the big Herbert one was going for scrap unfortunately. Got to love a machine that needs its own ladder and platform to undo the drawbar.

Hot choc

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi
I have always wondered about this place and whether it is still in use. Drive past it every day on way to work. The machines are amazing. If you google ‘Hey engineering co’
a site called Graces-guide.co.uk will come up. Have a look on there it shows posters etc and Heys must have been trading in 1930’s. Think it’s the same company. Answered a few questions about the place for me

Sam.ing

28DL Member
28DL Member
The company I used to work at did some of the electrical work here and knew the owner.
Unfortunately he's in hospital over in America now. The company is still trading but with only one employee until they eventually decide to close it down.
But point is it's not currently abandoned and is definitely occupied even if its looking run down now.

mingerocket

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some nice machines there. Reminds of the place that I served my apprenticeship at. Love an old capstan lathe.

Carl Hargreaves

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pictures to document the history of this place and British industry. I have just cleared out a small engineering premises local to me. When you look at these places you have to remember, these places of industry paid people's wages, mortgages and kept families in bread and butter. Not to mention putting Great Britain on the map. All very sad to see places end up like this after all the action that happened there, but that's how it goes and life moves on.

Who has read this thread (Total: 232) View details