real time web analytics
Report - - HMS Ganges, Suffolk. August 2020 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - HMS Ganges, Suffolk. August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kvtie9

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
HMS Ganges, Suffolk. Visited August 2020

History
Royal Naval Training Establishment Shotley, known in the Royal Navy as HMS Ganges, was a naval training establishment near Ipswich. Starting in 1905, it trained boys for naval service until it closed in 1976 following the raising of school leaving age from 15 to 16. It had a mixed reputation in the Royal Navy, both for its reputed harsh methods of training boys in order to turn out professionally able, self-reliant ratings and for the professionalism of its former trainees. It is particularly famous for its 143-foot (44 m) high mast which all boys under training were required to ascend, at least to the half-moon and for the mast manning ceremonies held whenever a dignitary visited the establishment.
During the later 1980s and until 1999 RNTE Shotley was used as a residential centre for civilian police officers to complete their basic training. Forces which used this centre included Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Thames Valley and South Wales.

Explore:
We mainly focused on the pool area but did explore a few of the other buildings on the way. Pretty much ruined but the pool was decent. There is security on site but seems as though he doesn’t leave his office so fairly easy explore. Enjoy the photos :)

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice mix there. Always a great one to see. Nothing much changes a great deal. Nice showcase :thumb

Bluedot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I remember seeing old footage of naval cadets etc having to climb tall masts, looked scary as hell.
Not sure H&S would allow that these days ?!

AbandonedEssex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one, I've been there a few times now. Never got enough time to see the pool though. In regards of security for the others who were asking, the guy was just sat in his car watching me taking photos of the mast, he didn't mind but obviously not all security are that relaxed. :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 507) View details