real time web analytics
Holwell Pumping Station And Reservoir, Nov 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Holwell Pumping Station And Reservoir, Nov 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Holwell Pumping Station
Situated close to Melton Mowbray, Holwell Pumping Station is a small building of brick construction covered in ivy. It contains one main pipe, with loads more behind the building shooting off in all sorts of directions. The pipes lead around the back of the new pumping station, down an array of slopes and then into a river that flows away from the site.

Further down river there are also a couple of big sluices (which I scrambled across initially, not realizing it was a nice easy walk in from the other end... :rolleyes:)

The new pumping station is active, as signified by various loud, industrial noises being emitted from inside. It is sealed tight with various warning signs informing its 'dangerous' to enter and is 'alarmed' It has several pipes coming out of it that flow water into the reservoir situated in front of the pump station.

The reservoir is currently used by a local fishing club, so there were several people sat around looking rather miffed (it had just started raining, and the entire time I was there, I didn't see anyone pull out anything!)

I had a really hard time finding any history on this place, so can only assume the pumping station fed a nearby factory or industry back in the day, as there is some empty land nearby which used to have some sort of buildings on it. I wish I would have spent more time here and taken more photos, but oh well, hindsight and all that...

The two sluice gates further down river

Rear of the old building

If you know anything further, I'd be interested to hear. Thanks for reading.​

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I really like this mate. I liked them when you posted them the other week on FB. Lovely little place.
Cheers dude, it was a great place, the site is actually quite sizeable what with all the pipes and various watercourses. Loads of little bits dotted around and pipes above your head, then they're dropping down and going into the ground below your feet. I'll definitely be returning in the future.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had a lovely wander here when a fishing match was on lol noone was bothered though, you have caught it very well