real time web analytics
Report - - Hornsea Freeport Model Village - Jan 2011 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hornsea Freeport Model Village - Jan 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

OneLife

Live it!
28DL Full Member
A place from my childhood, although I remember it being a little bigger and slightly less overgrown/damaged!
I really wanted to give a good bit of history on this place seeing as though its not been reported before, but there is very little info available about it.

It was opened to the public in 1979 as a side attraction for Hornsea Pottery. At the time it was called the 'Minidale' model village and was part of the Hornsea Pottery Edenfield site where the company had started to diversify from just making pottery. The site became a day out including tours of the factory, a number of shops and various leisure attractions - the model village being one of them. Later renamed to 'Sleepy Hollow'.

Closure date is currently unknown, will update this if I manage to find the info.

Modelvillage158.jpg

After searching for somewhere to buy the entry wristband I decided to en ter anyway!

Modelvillage010.jpg

Church has seen better days

Modelvillage048.jpg

Modelvillage051.jpg

Modelvillage065.jpg

Makes me wonder if this is why the place was closed down?

Modelvillage066.jpg

Modelvillage126.jpg

Modelvillage137.jpg

Modelvillage145.jpg

Last edited:

mrlister2000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
OMG, I remember this place! I went there with my grand-parents & uncle in 1982! It was a brilliant day out, taking in the pottery place next door. We stayed in Bridlington so wasnt that far away for a great day out. Shame this happened to it

VolvoB10M

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's all a new housing estate now.

I hope someone managed to salvage that track, it's worth a lot more than it's scrap value. I've bought some similar and it costs about £30 for 1 metre. You can imagine how unhappy I was when the neighbourhood kids jumped the fence in to our garden, started messing with it and somehow ended up bending a large amount of it out of shape even though it was nailed down.

Who has read this thread (Total: 169) View details