real time web analytics
Report - - ICI PLANT PROTECTION DIVISION - WEST SUSSEX - August 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ICI PLANT PROTECTION DIVISION - WEST SUSSEX - August 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

kai5359

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is my first report so please tell me if I need to change anything or should do anything different next time.

The History
The Fernhurst Research station was a weed killer research facility for protecting the fruit industry from weeds.

The ICI Plant Protection Division was founded in 1926, they moved into the site in 1945 with the intent of investigating pest control.
ICI then officially made the location their headquarters in the 70s and it remained this way all the way through to 1994 where the site became apart of Zeneca.
During ICIs occupation in 1986 a new international conference centre was opened on the site by the infamous Prime Minister, Margret Thatcher.

The site then later became the headquarters for Syngenta when Zeneca Agrochemicals and Novartis Agribusiness Both merged to become Syngenta.
They then left the site in 2001

The site was then sold off in 2007 to contractors by AkzoNobel.
The offices and laboratory in Fernhurst were officially closed at some point in mid 2008 and the rooms were then later stripped in late 2008.

Many property developer applications and plans have been proposed since, but still yet nothing has yet been agreed and thus the site has just been left.

The Explore
I visited today, It's a nice easy place to get into and the place is huge and very like a maze. however there's not a lot of items left behind apart from the dumpings outside with all sorts of things that you wouldn't expect to find there.

we entered through a field that lead us around to the back carpark, we did see a car circle the building and stop for a couple of minutes and then continued and was not seen for the rest of that day. we can only assume it was some type of security.
There are 2 outbuildings and a jaguar, as well as the huge main building that has 3 floors what is like a long maze with corners after corners that you could easily find yourself lost in. There's also a basement as well as easy roof access. we did not go down into the basement after reading stuff about some mysterious-looking people that congregate in the basement.
We started in the outbuildings with very little luck of finding anything worth actually looking at, we then had a look at the old jaguar that is definitely fucked now despite the new paint job work the car has. One of the 2 outbuildings have sadly been set on fire and has destroyed the majority of that building. Afterwards, we then headed into the main building, starting on the top floor because that looked the safest. we found rooms such as toilets, a staff room, lots of stair wells and many many empty office rooms. After exploring the top floor for about half an hour to 45 mins we found a table with about 4 doors stacked on top with a chair on top that lead to the roof. however after exploring the roof we found out that there was indeed starts leading to the roof what was a lot easier.
Due to all the vandalism there's barely anything left of the windows or anything in the office rooms. just floor tiles, we did have a little look at floors one and two but did look just the same as floor 3 if not in
way worse connditon.

Last edited:

jhurbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That burnt down building happened like last week, I love locally and it’s a shame, stupid vandals

Ste1000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is security there, he came looking when I was in the park of the building that's blocked off but didn't see me.
There's a hole in one of the internal walls to get in that part, had lots of expensive stuff in there like designer hand bags as its used for storage.

amfalconer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Surprised that Jag is still there...

The site is shared with Aspinall of London who are a high-end leather brand - perhaps that's what you've seen.

jhurbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is security there, he came looking when I was in the park of the building that's blocked off but didn't see me.
There's a hole in one of the internal walls to get in that part, had lots of expensive stuff in there like designer hand bags as its used for storage.
That bit isn’t abandoned lmao, it’s the aspinal of London HQ

Ste1000

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's not the small part across the walk way, it's the lower floor on the abandoned part, there is a section they still use nearest the walkway, all doors are blocked but there's a hole in one of the internal walls in the room at the end of the middle corridor.
looks like people have been takeing things now.
Matt put a video on YouTube showing the access point and all the stuff in there.

UnknownAX

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This place looks like its seen better days, I bet when it was first closed it had some pretty decent gear left behind. Shame that people feel the need to trash and wreck places.

Who has read this thread (Total: 348) View details