real time web analytics
Report - - Interzone 2, sheffield , september 2020 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Interzone 2, sheffield , september 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Been meaning to get back here for some time but had one or 2 other explores to check out ,but with a dryish spell and the advent of autumn just around the corner i thought id best get my finger out lol. this time i wanted to try a different approach going up a side tunnel across the road to see if it connected with the main system ?
after the last visit and how stoopy that was i was under no illusions about what lay ahead ! taking the trolley cart and knee pads i set of up the tunnel

this was cramped ! thankfully not to waterlogged i made good progress on the cart keeping me just above the standing water.

change in style here from old stone arch to concrete roof and brickwork

and a change back again to old brickwork arch , note the corrugated metal sheet hanging down had to bend this of to get under it lucky it was rotten and fell to bits ! moving on further

600mm diameter pipe ! the red bit inside was an inverted traffic cone ! water was trickling through it so im guessing this was a bodged repair to a collapsed drain gulley the 600mm pipe was 3x 8foot lengths and i was convinced this would connect up with the main drain but jesus it looked tight was on my own as well it was to small to get through on the cart but i diddnt want to turn back ! A few strong words to myself and in i went pushing the cart in front of me i squirmed through i knew i could get back out and could see the culvert returned to normal at the other side of the pipes , did question my sanity ( no change there then lol ) at the other side of the pipe it was soft mud but i diddnt care id got through it hope it wasnt in vain ?

looking back to small pipe then looking forward
back to the main sewer pipe it did link up to the main drain result ! Had a moment here to wash the mud of before turning left and up to where i called it a day last visit

im going to skip forward as i have already posted photos of the first bit of the explore this red brick archway went on a distance you can see the wheel marks left by the trolley cart was ruff concrete underfoot going on further i came across a large man hole

looking up was nice to stop underneath this and stand up and stretch my back !

another one further up the tunnel was even deeper underground these were the only thing different from the red brick arched roof that seamed to go on for ever

had done my home work with maps and it had paid of a split going of to the right was expected the roof got a little higher here to which was welcome following the right hand split i carried on

a change in styles again this time to circular brick pipe, a metal girder with brickwork sides sliced through the drain before it angled quite steeply uphill

few stalagmites

pretty grim conditions here and was quite slippery going as well ,bobbing under the girder then back to brick pipe

was certainly a mental rollercoaster this one when i thought thats enough now it rewarded me again this next section i could stand perfectly upright in and had to carry the trolley cart had a fairly long walk as well

this was at the end the crappy pic really does not do justice to a perfect bell shaped brick manhole outstanding craftsmanship

the very end of the right hand turn off a key shaped or egg shaped culvert to small to negotiate . had been underground for nearly an hour now and was getting tired it was a long way back to so there will have to be yet another visit to check out further upstream , diddnt go back out through the 600mm pipe but opted for the easy route as by now id had enough

back out in to the open air thank god . was a tuff one my hardest yet by some way but have pushed on further than i thought i could ached a bit today but it was worth it cheers for watching :thumb

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Jeez! So I just had to look back to where me and @Esoteric Eric went to get my bearings here. That first pipe is ridiculous, isn't it? Proper awful smell when we went. Can't actually believe you pushed on to where it gets really tight! So does that join up where the double junction is in the culvert? (The right in my pic?)

Sounds like that drain cart came in really handy for the next bit! I'm so surprised it gets big enough to stand up in tho! Would not have predicted that. Good work again!

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Jeez! So I just had to look back to where me and @Esoteric Eric went to get my bearings here. That first pipe is ridiculous, isn't it? Proper awful smell when we went. Can't actually believe you pushed on to where it gets really tight! So does that join up where the double junction is in the culvert? (The right in my pic?)

40581469-BF79-4809-9DB8-8F3A1175AEE4.jpeg

Sounds like that drain cart came in really handy for the next bit! I'm so surprised it gets big enough to stand up in tho! Would not have predicted that. Good work again!
yes you got it , first time i went down i had a crawl down the right hand pipe but stopped when i saw the 600 pipe but had a gut feeling it linked back up so when i came at it from the other end i was almost certain it would link up , it did test me to my limit though that 600mm pipe, couldnt have done it without the drain cart full stop was a surprise that last section being able to stand up had a stone paved floor as well

Who has read this thread (Total: 156) View details