real time web analytics
Report - - Jerusalem Gate/Golden Dome Gate, International Zone, Iraq | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Jerusalem Gate/Golden Dome Gate, International Zone, Iraq

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
Forgive me Father, it has been several years since my last explore - but I beg your forgivness by offering you an very small exotic type.

The Jerusalem Gate, also called the Golden Dome Gate is one of four gateways within the Green/International Zone in Baghdad.
It was just a security barrier (the gates have long since disappeared) in Saddam times, but has been used as a guard post, interpreters office among others

Like most of the buildings in this area, they look fabulous from the outside, but you soon realise its all a facade!
As you can imagine its difficult to get into some of the bigger buildings ( the old Republican Guard HQ) - lots of armed soldiers still in this area as its home to the Iraqi PM.
Plus I dont have full freedom to wander, especially with my camera in hand

1. The Gate, looking east to west
IMGP0001tn.jpg

2. The south stair well
IMGP0002tn.jpg

3. east facing office - glass surprisingly intact
IMGP0007tn.jpg

4. exit to the roof.
IMGP0009tn.jpg

5. The Dome. It is modeled on the Temple of the Mount, Jerusalem - hence in some places its called the Jerusalem Gate
IMGP0010tn.jpg

6. Damage still in evidence - north facing section
IMGP0021tn.jpg

7. Sadeq's Bar - well at least Sadeq painted the beach scene in 2005. The Bar - yes alcohol is legal in Iraq
IMGP0020tn.jpg

8. View north - central Baghdad
IMGP0022tn.jpg

9. Light fittings still intact (Just)
IMGP0029tn.jpg

10. my 18mm lens was struggling here
IMGP0030tn.jpg

11. Big window, minus glass!!
IMGP0031tn.jpg

12. The road arch. The lights are grandiose nesting boxes for the birds
IMGP0033tn.jpg

13. North side doorway
IMGP0034tn.jpg

14. 06.15hrs - sunrise. The view from the top
IMGP0015tn.jpg

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, that's something a bit different.

What's the deal out there in regards to exploring stuff? Imagine they'd be a bit more aggy than your average security guard if you were caught somewhere you shouldn't be?

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member
Nice, that's something a bit different.

What's the deal out there in regards to exploring stuff? Imagine they'd be a bit more aggy than your average security guard if you were caught somewhere you shouldn't be?

It has taken me and my boss (also a nosey bugger) a few months of getting up at 6am each morning and walking a 5km route and becoming a known entiry within the green zone, so all the iraqi army guards know us and expect us wandering
but there are huge signs - no photography - outside most of the camp gates