real time web analytics
Report - - Kelburn Estate Waterworks Pumping Station, Ayrshire - April 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kelburn Estate Waterworks Pumping Station, Ayrshire - April 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This was one of many sites me and @JakeV50 visited on our recent trip across the border. We didn’t know what to expect with this one, having only seen an external image. Certainly not the most exciting find with lots of graffiti, but the interior is undocumented online so felt it was appropriate to get a report up on it.

Information & History
I’ve done quite a lot of searching for this one and Google doesn’t seem to be giving me any hints. Given its close proximity to Kelburn Estate & Castle, I am under the assumption this site supplied water to the estate and its buildings. Kelburn Castle was originally built in the 13th century and opened to the public as a country park in 1977. The castle is a Category A listed building.

The waterworks building does not appear on the older OS Map I tend to use (1900s) but later appears as an unnamed building on the 1949-1973 edition. Initially, part of me thought it may have been an old RAF structure as it resembles the basic concrete construction of old war buildings, but there was no base in close proximity of the building and 99% of the time these types of RAF structures get completely stripped out.

The Waterworks itself consists of a large space containing several large filter tanks. In addition, there is a water tank, numerous pipes, and a small reception/office room near to the main entrance. A small building sits beside the main waterworks which looks to be some sort of well or borehole which would’ve contained a pump to draw the water up from underground before being treated by the filter tanks. Down the hill near the main gates are a couple of filter beds.

The Explore
Initially, we thought it would be impossible to park anywhere near the site, but thankfully there was a small car park a short distance away just off the main road. The walk to the building was a little boggy but nothing too crazy. We were a little disappointed to see graffiti everywhere but pleased to see some equipment remaining in place.

Photos
A rusting set of gates signifies the old vehicular entrance to the site:

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_9920.jpg

Entering the main building first reveals the small office room containing an old wooden desk/worktop:

IMG_9837-HDR.jpg

Heading into the main part:

IMG_9858-HDR.jpg

IMG_9876-HDR.jpg

IMG_9864-HDR.jpg

IMG_9843-HDR.jpg

IMG_9923.jpg

Electrical gubbins on the wall:

IMG_9911.jpg

The water tanks featuring some of the finest graffiti anyone has ever laid eyes on:

IMG_9846-HDR.jpg

Water was gushing from these old pipe fittings:

IMG_9901.jpg

The borehole/well in the small pump house outside:

IMG_9907.jpg

Down towards the main gates lie the filter beds:

IMG_9915.jpg

IMG_9918.jpg

And finally taking in the lovely views of the Ayrshire countryside before heading back to the car:

IMG_9933.jpg

Thanks for looking!

pastybap

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
love old water infrastructure, so really enjoyed this report, Love the old pipeworks and those tanks. The water is a bit of a waste, sad to see, either way, nice one!!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice find. Good to see the tanks still there. 👍
Cheers Jane, yeah I was pleased to see some remaining bits and pieces.

love old water infrastructure, so really enjoyed this report, Love the old pipeworks and those tanks. The water is a bit of a waste, sad to see, either way, nice one!!
Cheers, glad you enjoyed it. I've done plenty of water pumping stations over the last year or so which you may be interested in :thumb