real time web analytics
Report - - Kingsdown quarry aka swan mine Whiltshire 2-4-2021 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kingsdown quarry aka swan mine Whiltshire 2-4-2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
History- Kingsdown quarry is also known as swan mine due to it being in close proximity to the swan pub which used to be the old quarry masters house. The quarry began in 1896 and was worked by 12 men with 2 known fatalities due to roof falls while working the mine. The stone was extracted using horse and cart with the cart tracks still clearly visible in the main passages. The mine was closed in 1932 and has sat abandoned ever since.

the explore- I was quite surprised to see how clean and free from modern graffiti it was which for me made it a much better explore, the mine has still got some old tools, a horse trough and at the very end of the passage is one of the old cranes used to load the bath stone onto the carts. Although the mine is not as extensive as maybe browns or box it still has a lot to offer. As usual the photos are taken from my phone so excuse the quality of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doozer

Regular User
Don’t know why the pics loaded twice lol. If anyone has anymore info on this mine I’d be happy hear about it as I really enjoyed seeing this mine

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Fixed your photos. Bus shelter section is absolutely covered in paint :(

Bumped into a small group last Weds who were openly carrying spray cans with them...

Doozer

Regular User
It really pisses me off hearing this, it’s idiots like that who spoil it for the rest of us! Glad I never bumped into them that’s for sure!