Web
Analytics
Report - - Kirby & West Dairy, Leicester - 1997 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kirby & West Dairy, Leicester - 1997



Goldie87

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
James Kirby began trading as a cow keeper in Chatham Street in 1861. By 1868 he had established Highfields Dairy with premises in Andover Street, in partnership with Mr West. Mr Frank Smith later bought the company from Mr West, Mr Kirby having retired earlier. The business was developed from 260 gallons daily in 1916 to 2500 in 1933. The Western Boulevard premises were acquired in 1934 and by 1960 17,000 gallons of milk were being processed and bottled daily. In 1980 a new Dairy was purpose built on Richard III Road, after the company had outgrown the Western Boulevard premises.

The old dairy was then split up as units, which included an antiques dealer and textiles recycling company. The building was sadly destroyed in 1997, when much of the area was ruined during Leicester City Challenge. Today the site is home to some very nondescript modern office buildings. The following photos were taken just prior to demolition, a little bit of old skool exploring stuff...

6629736575_324bd171ff_z.jpg


6629739921_6dba0392b6_z.jpg


6629742061_2460e32622_z.jpg


6629765583_56d070a82e_z.jpg


6629767543_419500038d_z.jpg


6629744963_7d0ae0b6c0_z.jpg


6629760729_5e627671a8_z.jpg


6629773213_009e3dccd8_z.jpg


6629770007_15e8b56e26_z.jpg


6629741095_1cc9231815_z.jpg


6629737853_88e35dd519_z.jpg
 

Attachments

Similar threads