real time web analytics
Report - - Langdon Bay Searchlight batteries and SS Falcon Shipwreck | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Langdon Bay Searchlight batteries and SS Falcon Shipwreck

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sidibear

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited February 2013.(Forgot to add it in the title, any mods rectify it for me please?)

Three searchlight batteries - known as the Langdon Lights - were built into the base of the bay's cliffs during World War II, so that any ship trying to enter the bay could be illuminated while it was checked, though one has been destroyed by a cliff fall (Stolen from Wiki).
Visited on my own while my very patient wifey and her mum waited at the top. Access is via a zig zag path cut into the cliff, easy enough to get down but watch it if its wet as the chalk can be slippy, no problems going down but a chain smoking unfit git like me had to keep stopping on the way back up. On the path is a very large chunk of crankshaft, probably weighs around half a ton, (very committed scrap thieves in those days). A quick quiz of a guy in the National trust building said they had a line and pulley system to retrieve the scrap and it probably dropped from that on the way up, either way I wouldn't have liked to be under it when it went down.

Dover001_zpsce0c94d8.jpg

Dover006_zps4eb898ca.jpg

Dover005_zpsfdffb9f9.jpg

Dover007_zps89ac66c0.jpg

Dover010_zpsf63c4225.jpg

Dover011_zps56e92fbf.jpg

Silhouette in tunnel fail, I swear I heard the shutter close before I moved :banghead

Dover013_zps81019773.jpg

The iron-screw steamer SS Falcon owned by the General Steam Navigation Company was wrecked off the Dover coast in 1926. She was carrying a cargo of hemp and matches which unsurprisingly caught fire, and she grounded whilst ablaze. Only visible at low tide.

Dover014_zps3a56d520.jpg

Dover004_zps770d3b0e.jpg

Dover003_zpsf255f20c.jpg

Dover002_zps907c18da.jpg

Last edited: