real time web analytics
Leave Only Footsteps | Books and Media | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Leave Only Footsteps

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

the invisableman

Sac magic
28DL Full Member
Nicely shot.
My only critique would be that the people in it had no personality to make what they were talking about sound half interesting and therefore made the documentary a bit dull for my liking.

Gh0sT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its a fair effort and i didnt dislike it ;)

I enjoyed the intro and thought the film was ok and in some parts quite pro, however i do take issue with some of the ethics behind the exploring done, the opinions expressed are yours and yours only and do not represent the community as a whole which i what i guess you were trying to achieve.
Trying to remain impartial i came away with the impression that UE was a very unique hobby and i agreed with your thoughts about it not being very main stream and hope it stays that way.
But i felt your motives bragging and posting your pic's were for self gratification alone - i disagreed with this, i dont think its about this at all.

That said , i watched it all and didnt switch off :thumb

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
silly question arent you or is this video title on facebook..and yes its not bad but ive heard people say "we" arent all like this..is this the royal we ??and we dont breakinto buildings ..after watching it then they say we find entrances..swear i heard them say we break into buildings..pffft..its not something id put my face too ,idea is we keep it all quiet unless theres a people shot to be had!but fair play lads!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Each to their own. Everyone explores for different reasons. If it's to get some decent pictures on the net, so be it. Some people wade through shit partaking in the same pastime.

It's the title that gets me "Leave Only Footsteps". It's supposed to be "Leave only Footprints"

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
As has been said, a bit cliché ridden in places, and the breaking in bit is annoying, but an ok effort.

But OT beat me to the biggest annoyance:

It's the title that gets me "Leave Only Footsteps". It's supposed to be "Leave only Footprints"

If these guys can afford cameras etc - why can't they afford a dictionary? (or indeed try googling words they don't understand?)

You can see a footstep as it happens, you can hear a footstep as it happens - but you can not 'leave a footstep'!

lil' pezza

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Again, i did no editing nor' did i say i do it for the glory, I said nothing bad about 28dayslater and didnt pick the name, I was just filmed for it.

Gh0sT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quote :

Please tell me what you think, scrutinize, rip to shreds or compliment. Many thanks

No need to keep reiterating its not yours Pez.
You asked , you got :thumb

Schtumple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi guys, I was the director and producer of the piece, Ben Adams, I thought I'd hop onto 28DL and answer a few questions and try and defend the film given some of your comments.

Leave Only Footprints is already taken as an initiative against plastic waste, I decided against using it as I'd like to enter this film into festivals and didn't want any confusion between causes. Footsteps was intended to suggest you literally leave nothing, that was the point, but I guess that doesn't come across well enough.

It's also shame the majority of you felt the piece shows urban exploring in a bad light, everyone I've shown the piece to hasn't felt that way, in the slightest, I guess you guys aren't really the key demographic, you know everything about urbex, so all you can really do is pick holes saying what's missing or what isn't an accurate representation of urbex as a whole.

I would've thought you guys would understand that the participants in the doc are young and naive, that was the point, they don't really know what they're doing, but yet they do it regardless in the name of creating art. Yes they say things which don't represent the entire community but that's what happens, everyone I spoke to didn't feel as though the 3 presented in the doc fully represented urbex, merely they were participants to a wider cause, it's a lead in to a much longer, expansive documentary.

Any further questions feel free to let me know it's nice hearing feedback on where I've gone wrong, I'm looking to do a secondary piece on the entire compass of urban exploring that's free from the restrictions of university guidance, if any of you are interested, let me know, although I understand that after seeing my first piece and overall having a general distaste for it you'd all have some apprehension about being involved, all I can say is if you don't get involved and don't present your views, it would simply be another leave only footsteps, a select set of views, rather than a bigger encompass.

Thanks, Ben.

arnie187

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like the editing but I do not break and enter. Makes us look bad.I get the overall idea but we all make efforts to not break the law during visits just tarnishs it. Be nice to see round two

Last edited:

Ryno118

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Everyone seems to be singing the piece praise Ben, I also think it was well made. The whole point of a documentary is to show what your subjects do and why they do it. Your documentary did this very well. It also looked good. Unfortunately, it failed to give an accurate view of urban exploring because the people in it don't represent most of the people who do it. Not being an urban explorer yourself, you had no way of knowing that. Good job and look forwards to seeing what you come up with in the future.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
The question is, did they do a good job of representing themselves. If you're happy with that then consider it a good result. You'll never please everybody, don't even try.

Schtumple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unfortunately, it failed to give an accurate view of urban exploring because the people in it don't represent most of the people who do it. Not being an urban explorer yourself, you had no way of knowing that. Good job and look forwards to seeing what you come up with in the future.

I did try to reach out to a few urban explorers to get their input on the project and tried to get some sit down/phone interviews with them back in the early pre-production stage, (for research purposes), but sadly I received mostly flat out rude responses, with only one guy offering to talk to me via facebook, but I found him to be very stuck up too and talking to me as if I'd never been on an explore in my life.

It seemed to me at least as though the urbex community was highly secretive and didn't like anyone poking their nose around. It's a shame, because a major production studio would exploit the crap out of that, where as I was trying to show it in a positive light.

But what can you do eh, just gotta move on and look forward really.

Just for the record, I have done urbex, admittedly not as much as you guys, I don't do it for the reports or for the community, I just like the surreal nature of the decaying buildings.

My photos are here:

Urban Exploring

I get that because I've not done it for as long as you guys there's a perception that I'm not doing it correctly, and I don't know anything about urbex, but I find that hard to believe, I don't break into places, that's common sense, I take the photos because of the surreal nature of the sites, is that not the same reason as you guys...?

The question is, did they do a good job of representing themselves. If you're happy with that then consider it a good result. You'll never please everybody, don't even try.

Honestly yes, having known each participant for something like 10 months now, I know each of their personalities and views. There was a lot I wanted to include, but sadly I couldn't because whilst it would've made good viewing and a more interesting story, it would've detracted from the urbex side and undermined the validity of using teenagers trying to present them as mature people.