real time web analytics
Leave Only Footsteps | Books and Media | Page 4 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Leave Only Footsteps

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Schtumple

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fuck off with your "philosophical nature of urbex", you sound as bad as that American prick.

So what would you suggest for the second doc then? A group of people all saying "I just like taking photos", there's always a deeper nature behind things like this.

Why do you do urbex?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
So what would you suggest for the second doc then? A group of people all saying "I just like taking photos", there's always a deeper nature behind things like this.

Why do you do urbex?

It's a thousand people doing it for a thousand reasons. You can't even hope to partly explain it, even if you were doing the worlds most pointless phd on the subject.

Mrbodymassagemachine

MBMM for short
28DL Full Member

Why do you do urbex?

Endorphins +/- adrenaline = fun. There really is no 'deeper nature'.

I'm looking to do a secondary piece on the entire compass of urban exploring

That can never happen, as a large part of it is places that people would never want to advertise to the public that they go.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Why do you do urbex?

Me? because I'm nosy, but i think OT's response summed it up perfectly.

Your film was ok, i did think some of the comments from the people featured were a little silly.....

As far as i'm concerned you made a decent film about a small group of young lads going in a few derelict buildings and THEIR reasons for doing so. A reflection of the UE community as a whole? No way.

Dont look too deep into peoples reasons why, you may be disappointed by what you find. A multi page thread on here will certainly not answer your questions.

kebab1701

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I actually watched this a couple of days ago when I found the group on facebook. I'd actually agree that the naivety of the teenagers was evident from the start and obviously the statement about breaking into places stood out and seemed to taint it for me. In saying that the locations were well shot and I enjoyed that part of it. I think a documentary on some of the veterans that are on here (if they would agree to it, which I doubt tbh) would be a far more interesting video if you were considering doing a second documentary.

dsankt

si ce que tu dis est vrai
28DL Full Member
Regarding the second documentary, I get emails like this all the time yet the people wanting to make the documentary never have anything to offer beyond "it's good exposure, you can tell your story" etc etc . It's a very simple question, what's in it for us?

The 'veterans' among us have explored dozens of countries, hundreds of locations, thousands of hours, all financed from our own pockets. We've earned the knowledge, photos and stories we have. Some of us have been arrested, some received criminal records, we've risked our lives for this, people have died for this.

What have you done to earn the right to a glimpse into the life of those who bust their ass for semi-active MOD sites, those who explore active metro system, those willing to get busted in The Tube, the ones climbing national monuments in the middle of the night, sneaking into scrap yards to explore decomm'd battleships?

So some guy with a video camera wants us to share it all for their documentary; a documentary they're using to further their education, their bank account and/or their career. Pretty simple question, what's in it for us, what's being offered as compensation (financial or otherwise) for our years of experience and our stories? Clearly they have value, else people wouldn't be asking for them.

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member
Regarding the second documentary, I get emails like this all the time yet the people wanting to make the documentary never have anything to offer beyond "it's good exposure, you can tell your story" etc etc . It's a very simple question, what's in it for us?

The 'veterans' among us have explored dozens of countries, hundreds of locations, thousands of hours, all financed from our own pockets. We've earned the knowledge, photos and stories we have. Some of us have been arrested, some received criminal records, we've risked our lives for this, people have died for this.

What have you done to earn the right to a glimpse into the life of those who bust their ass for semi-active MOD sites, those who explore active metro system, those willing to get busted in The Tube, the ones climbing national monuments in the middle of the night, sneaking into scrap yards to explore decomm'd battleships?

So some guy with a video camera wants us to share it all for their documentary; a documentary they're using to further their education, their bank account and/or their career. Pretty simple question, what's in it for us, what's being offered as compensation (financial or otherwise) for our years of experience and our stories? Clearly they have value, else people wouldn't be asking for them.

Now that is the quote that says it all.

SyndicCells

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some aspects of the documentary are absoluetly top notch, the opening sequence and the later sections where there is just music and video without audio are technically superb. I think also that when i'm expoloring an interesting site I tend not to say much as I get caught up in the moment so the sections without conversation seem better to me. Some atmospheric music throughout would have been good.

I agree that it you put together a more substantial documentary you should include a wider variety of explorers and sites so the viewer can better understand the reasons 'why' we do it. The 'how' of gaining access can also be pretty interesting but i'd be really careful of what you publish (both video of people gaining access and people talking about access).

If you have the chance to meet up some more gritty explorers in some more desperate locations with the technical skills you have developed you could produce something really good. Variety is the spice of life.

Overall a fine starting point, no-one will ever be able to nail why each and every person in the community does their thing but the more people you cover the more repsentative it will become.

Horus

Butt Wipe
28DL Full Member

Well said

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
I don't even know why I do it - trying to explain why everyone does this, or even what we do* is a hiding to nothing.

*some people only explore derelict stuff, others do infiltration as well. Some do it by stealth, others by people-hacking, etc etc.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I don't even know why I do it - trying to explain why everyone does this, or even what we do* is a hiding to nothing.

*some people only explore derelict stuff, others do infiltration as well. Some do it by stealth, others by people-hacking, etc etc.

Im a underground man but do derelicts aswell..my answer ben is ...well i enjoy nothing deeper than that ,if i didnt have a camera id still be going and doing it..people hacking ..do i need a machete :thumb