real time web analytics
Report - - ledston luck colliery castleford | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ledston luck colliery castleford

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

whittyboy

another yorkshire folk
28DL Full Member
hi all, i passed here today and thought it looked like the sort of place that needed to be explored, so armed with camera i had a look round the place, sadly i couldnt gain access into the building that fronts the road but managed a few shots through one of the broken windows. most of the place is otherwise occupied now but the 2 winding house buildings are still empty, the one towards the rear was possible to gain access using an old cable duct tunnel which brings you up into the building, sadly been a complete nugget i left the torch in the car, so was unable to fully explore the basement areas but a few more shots were captured for all to see.
the place doesnt look much from the outside, alright the building has a nice appearance but it doesnt point to any clues as to what is inside or what it is like. well history bit which if i admit is sourced from the net and possibly someone elses handy work, so sorry but thanks,

Ledston Luck pit was sunk in the 1870's and later formed part of the “superpitâ€￾ of interlinked workings around Selby. Ledston luck miners where the last to return to work after the miners strike, a year to the day after the National Coal Board (NCB) announced plans to shed 20,000 more jobs in the next financial year. This was due to the Mine manager deciding to stamp his authority on his workers, when they arrived for work after the last day of the stike they found he had chained the gates shut saying he'd decide when they could return to work, not them. Their pit would be closed less than two years later. The two winding Houses were built in 1911 and where among the first to use electric winders, at a time most other mines were still using steam. The Winding Houses are on the English Heritage list of scheduled ancient monuments.
well on with the pictures hope you like:popcorn

DSCF3759.jpg

DSCF3762.jpg

DSCF3765.jpg

DSCF3766.jpg

DSCF3770.jpg

DSCF3809.jpg

DSCF3808.jpg

DSCF3779.jpg

DSCF3782.jpg

the way in

DSCF3784.jpg

DSCF3802.jpg

DSCF3790.jpg

DSCF3789.jpg

DSCF3791.jpg

DSCF3792.jpg

DSCF3796.jpg

DSCF3800.jpg

DSCF3803.jpg

DSCF3787.jpg

DSCF3805.jpg

DSCF3756.jpg

DSCF3757.jpg

DSCF3810.jpg

just a selection of the pics i took. i also found an abandoned house near selby too so may put them on too. thanks for looking:popcorn

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details