real time web analytics
Report - - Lee Bank Tunnel, Halifax - 267yds | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lee Bank Tunnel, Halifax - 267yds

August 2021.

Lee Bank Tunnel was one of many tunnels in the Halifax area, It was relatively short at 267 yards in length and is near to the Old Lane Tunnel sometimes referred to as Woodside Tunnel, both were located on the Queensbury - Halifax section, known as the High Level Railway between Ovenden and North Bridge Station, Halifax. Opened to goods traffic in August 1874 and passengers during December 1879, Unfortunately decline began in December 1938 with Sunday services being withdrawn, certain stations began to close in September 1952 with total withdrawal of passenger traffic in 1955. In May 1956 saw the closure of the neighboring Queensbury Tunnel meaning the route was reduced to nothing more than over engineered branch lines, over the next 18yrs the slow decline continued Holmfield and the High Level closed in 1960, Cullingworth in 1963, Thornton and Ingrow in 1965. The last remnants were from St Dunstan's to Horton Park and City Road which survived until 1972, City Road had been reduced to a coal depot on 5 June 1967 Halifax to North Bridge coal yard closed in 1974 and that as they say is that, some monumental engineering feats along this route from Bradford / Halifax to Keighley was an absolute pleasure and joy to explore, record and document all these tunnels, the mind baffles at not only the cost but the man hours consumed during construction of this railway. Easy explore this one having parked the car on Mill Lane next to the still surviving railway bridge then just followed the track bed south a short distance before arrival at the northern portal which has been bricked up although thankfully a small hole has been punched through the brickwork meaning easy access, not masses to see inside but enjoyable nonetheless, the southern end has been sealed with a concrete cap and lies underneath the nearby A629 bypass. Such a shame this route is all but forgotten, I guess that’s why we do what we do to help preserve the legacy of such engineering marvels.

Above image copyright “Malcolm Bulls Calderdale Campanion”. Thought it’s worth sharing to show what once was.

Thanks as always for looking and commenting, its very much appreciated.

See you on the next one soon...

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Another nice one. TK never disappoints. I think I'm considering doing some tunnels at some point. Use to love em as a kid. Still love seeing them. Great report :thumb