real time web analytics
leon motor services finningley | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

leon motor services finningley

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

farmer.ned

magic.clean
28DL Full Member
leon motor services were formed in 1922 and ended in 2004 when it was sold to mass transit/brightbus which is another of my to do yards.

leons main stage carriage route was the 191 doncaster to finningley services which they worked daily for 82 years with additional services serving the outlying villages of wroot and misson on doncaster market days of tuesday friday and saturday .

the other core of leons work were school services and the coaching side of the business with day trips and holidays in the uk and abroad and also private hire work with a booking office in doncasters south bus station for many years

towards the end leon also took up contract work as a long established operator on the 152 to skellow joint with yorkshire traction and a service to west bessacar as well as other local doncaster services & schools on contract to the local authorities .

the last time i visited the sheds were shared with brightbus today it is a very sad sight as the pictures show with the vandals smashing what they can even a bus stored in the garage and abandond rubbish all over the site and nature starting to reclaim part of the yard it marks the sad passing of one of doncasters last true independent bus operators visited in april 2018 18 months after the demise of its parent company brightbus. .
le1.jpg

one of leons more elderly buses waits at its turn around point at wroot with a market day service to doncaster
le2.jpg

as stated leons core route was the 191 service between doncaster and finningley here ORR 263 L leaves doncaster southern bus station to return to finningley
le6.jpg

a leon line up at the depot with various atlanteans note the advertisement for brockholes farm riding centre this is now the yorkshire wildlife park.
le9.jpg

after 82 years doncasters last long serving independent bows out the depot is now in the hands of mass/brightbus
le3.jpg

mass schoolbuses stand alongside leon service buses on the depot forecourt.
ep2qZD.jpg

the present view shows the depot empty and abandoned the long bus shed has gone and the offices on the right hand side have also been demolished.
3fz003.jpg

even the diesel pumps have attracted the attention of the vandals.
le4.jpg

leon optare metrorider M926 TYG stands at the warning tongue lane turning point en route to west bessacarr the turning point still exists but is no longer used and a stones throw from the main entrance of what is now the yorkshire wildlife park .
qaXL2I.jpg

926 sits sadly dumped in the undergrowth at the depot still in its leon livery.
bM0oYx.jpg

a side view of 926.
k2S6DI.jpg

at great risk to my legs and you should see the scratches i decided to get some interior shots of 926.
FfBbzD.jpg
CHGh9z.jpg

KRZVRQ.jpg
tgd9S0.jpg

4 interior shots of 926.
le10.jpg

after removing all the crap i managed to get a shot of 926,s rear panel showing her sad legacy.
le7.jpg

2 of leons fitters pose for the the camera outside the repair shed with 733 and a unidentified daimler over the pits
3c5Itg.jpg

now boarded up and abandoned.
le8.jpg

2 leon deckers rest at the side of the garage
dYDvsw.jpg

and some beautifull bedford coaches with plaxtons bodywork..
Rxlto2.jpg
QJgVKb.jpg

ouWZFg.jpg

now just a rubbish tip.
EN921e.jpg
1bR2Cl.jpg

the wash ramp at the side of the depot now full of rubbish and barrels
461ODt.jpg
xdA14w.jpg

the final two pictures show the rear of the depot and the damage caused by vandals to a stored bus when they broke into the pit shed this has now been re secured .

Last edited:

Giymo85

Amateur and proud
28DL Full Member
Very well covered pal. Sad as it is, 926 looks great in those shots.