Web
Analytics
Report - - Linclonshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum (St Johns) Jan 2011 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Linclonshire County Pauper Lunatic Asylum (St Johns) Jan 2011

Lolz101

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
The Poor Law Unions became a handy tool for parishes and government officials to deal with mentally disturbed individuals. In those days, the term "lunatic" was applied to a range of mental problems. These individuals were evaluated, and if they could be adequately kept in the workhouse infirmary or barracks, that's where they were housed. For more severe cases, the Union would move them to an asylum, sometimes contracting with asylums out-of-county for their care.

There is a long history of legislation in the Kingdom dealing with "Lunacy." The 1774 Madhouse Act was followed by several amendments and extensions. The 1800 Criminal Lunatics Act was followed by the 1808 County Asylums Act. The Lunacy Act was passed in 1890, consolidating many of the various laws into a single document.

built in 1852 on a slight rise in Bracebridge parish, Originally built to house 250 inmates, it was enlarged in 1859, 1866, 1881 and 1902. The plan & arrangements of this large asylum, are in accordance with the most approved systems adopted in other parts of the kingdom. The plain Italian style prevails throughout the large central building, & in all its wings & outbuildings; which, with the courts & airing yards etc, occupy about 7 acres. About 8 acres more are occupied by gardens, lawns, plantations, & roads; thus leaving about 30 acres for the farm, which is partly cultivated by spade husbandry, & gives healthy employment to many of the patients.

The average number of patients in 1854, was 244, consisting of 110 males & 125 females. Many of the latter are employed in needlework. The asylum finally closed in 1989/1990 and was bought by a property developer a few years later who has converted half of the site into houses but the main asylum buildings are Grade II listed buildings and cant be demolished.

IMG_1414.jpg


IMG_1152.jpg


IMG_1153.jpg


IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg


IMG_1161.jpg


IMG_1165.jpg


IMG_1194.jpg


IMG_1264.jpg


IMG_1081.jpg


IMG_1150.jpg


IMG_1179.jpg


IMG_1205.jpg


IMG_1185.jpg
IMG_1257.jpg


IMG_1187.jpg


IMG_1173.jpg


IMG_1210.jpg


IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1250.jpg


IMG_1231.jpg


IMG_1254.jpg


IMG_1260.jpg


IMG_1273.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg


IMG_1288.jpg


IMG_1292.jpg


IMG_1307.jpg


IMG_1327.jpg


IMG_1341.jpg

Thanks for looking
 

Attachments

Similar threads