real time web analytics
Report - - Lincolnshire County Asylum (St Johns) - June 2012 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lincolnshire County Asylum (St Johns) - June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member
History

The Asylum was built in 1852 and enlarged on several subsequent occasions. It was originally established jointly by Lindsey, Kesteven, Holland, Lincoln, Grimsby and Stamford, and managed by a Board of Visitors appointed by the contributing authorities. Kesteven and Grantham withdrew from the arrangement when the contract of Union expired in 1893 (eventually establishing the Kesteven County Asylum at South Rauceby, 1897). The hospital was set in grounds of 120 acres which included gardens, farmland and a burial ground. In 1940 female patients were transferred to other hospitals, mainly Storthes Hall near Huddersfield, to make space for an Emergency Hospital, and many did not return until well after the end of the War. Administration of the hospital passed to the National Health Service in 1948. By the early 1960s it was known by its final name of St John's Hospital. Patients were admitted from Harmston Hall Hospital when that hospital closed. St John's Hospital itself was closed in December 1989 with the remaining patients transferred to other establishments. The site was sold for housing and most of the buildings apart from the central block (which is listed) were demolished.

The explore

A relaxed afternoon and one i very much enjoyed, as its been some time since i had one (an asylum that is!). St John's is probably the best remaining example of the more traditional long corridor type wards and considering its time of neglect, is not in too bad a condition. The honeycombe ceilings reminded me of Warley (and some of the layout) which was built a year later.

There were a few builders at the main entrance for a while, a sign that work may re-commence soon. My only other company was matey and dog, who appeared towards the end of the afternoon. Watching him from the second floor, it was clear he had forgotten his keys! As he wasnt leaving and of course, the right side of the fence, i mooched some more till matey's mate turned up (with a spare set i assume) and then i made for a leisurely exit.

On with the phots

1Medium.jpg

2Medium.jpg

4Medium.jpg

5Medium.jpg

6Medium.jpg

7Medium.jpg

8Medium.jpg

9Medium.jpg

10Medium.jpg

11Medium.jpg

12Medium.jpg

13Medium.jpg

A closer look at that wallpaper for wallpaper enthusiasts.

14Medium.jpg

15Medium.jpg

Original door panelling exposed.

17Medium.jpg

18Medium.jpg

19Medium.jpg

20Medium.jpg

21Medium.jpg

22Medium.jpg

23Medium.jpg

24Medium.jpg

25Medium.jpg